Chapter Thirty-six

Micheal was back to being the blank faced, rigid bodyguard as they walk side by side on the sunny, bustling streets, his fingers linked with the smiling Midas' who almost skips excitedly with every step as he continues to steal glances at his now boyfriend. His boyfriend was dressed in a striped shirt sleeved shirt and some white pants and Midas can not decide if he looks better in his suits or dressed casually.

Midas sighs in content, letting the warm breeze hit his face as he begins to swing their hands back and forth. Micheal allows it, his rigid posture even relaxing a bit as he looks towards Midas too, the younger practically glowing in his vintage round neck shirt which he pairs with some grey shorts and white snickers. He also had a pair of sunglasses sitting on his hairline like Micheal, he smiles, Micheal does too right before the Uber pulls to a halt beside the couple and they get in.

Midas has practically been smiling ear to ear the whole day, the back of his ears were hurting from smiling so much as he'd spent most of the day teasing Micheal who very reluctantly got on a ride when they got to the park, only to get so excited at the end of the ride that he practically drags Midas unto every single one he could find. Midas is mesmerized, eyes glued to the side of Micheal's face as he smiles wider than Midas has ever seen, an image of child-like innocence. Micheal is equally as excited at the zoo too, no one would've believed the man next to Midas was intended to be a bodyguard, if anything, Midas feels the urge protect this side of him, still disbelieving of the fact that he gets to witness this overexcited, happy side of Micheal as he drags him around and points out the attractions. The side of him Midas later finds out is as a result of Micheal never really getting to do those things as a kid, due to the environments he'd had to grow up in, in the absence of both his parents. Midas hopes he can remain a safe space for Micheal to open up about his past and talk about the future, he wishes the day would never end, but alas, the sun slowly begins to drift farther and farther away from the middle of the sky.

They end up at the beach when it was evening. Midas sits on the sand, digging his feet into it and appreciating the beautiful sunset, when Micheal comes back with two cocktails in hand, which he'd gotten from the beach bar. Midas whispers a 'thanks' as he takes one and Micheal hums, sitting next to the younger just as a call causes Midas' phone to vibrate violently against his thigh.

He fishes it out of his pocket and actually gasps when the ID read a bold 'Daddy Smith', Micheal, who had a smile on his face as he appreciated the orange glow of the sun setting, hears Midas gasp and as his head whips toward the younger, eyes wide in concern, Midas turns the screen to face Micheal. He witnesses the exact second Micheal's face falls as he sees the ID too.

Seeing Micheal's face immediately drain of color, Midas huffs out a smile and kisses his obviously panicked boyfriend on the cheek as he asks, “Why do you look like that?”

“No, nothing. I was just surprised is all” Michael gives a faint smile and Midas makes a noise of teasing disbelief before stating matter-of-factly “You know you should be more prepared for this.” Michael smiles at that, it finally reaches his eyes this time.

“Of course. I'm aware of that. Pick up, you shouldn't keep him waiting so he doesn't begin to worry" Midas nods, taking a hurried sip of his cocktail before setting it down into the sand and swiping at the green button.

.

..

It was finally their last night on vacation. They all sat around the dining table, eating pasta: one-pot penne with ground turkey and spinach. There was also beef stew with butternut squash and a bottle of wine on the table.

They all conversed amongst each other, Ava and Lizzy the loudest as they seemed to have a lot to share, having obviously made the best of their vacation days, Midas smiles, happy at the fact that they all had a fulfilling time.