Chapter Forty-seven

“Why are you doing this yourself? You know there's people who can handle it.” Mr. Charles says, his eyes following Byron around the room as the man walks all over his large bed, peeling his signature R-rated posters off the walls.

Byron doesn't turn around as he mutters a reply, seemingly very focused on the task at hand, "I don’t want to bother them, I wanted to do it myself. Besides, everyone else has something they're doing at the moment, so why not just use my own hands."

Charles raises a surprised brow, still not convinced with the reply, "You could've just waited until they're less busy maybe? I don't understand why you have to do it yourself."

Byron laughs, throwing his arms up as he finally turns around, "Woah woah woah, Mr Charles. You're nagging so much today, kind of reminds of someone, she nags a lot too," his arms drops to his side and with a small smile, he adds, "And like I said, I wanted to do this myself, don't worry about me."

Mr Charles continues to give him worried looks but he doesn't say anything else, opting to silently watch the man do what he so stubbornly insisted on. Byron resumes pulling the papers apart, ripping most of them in the process. He finishes with the ones above his bed and just as he starts up on the wallpapers on the wall, he hears a car drive into the compound, he immediately peeks out the open window, squinting as he sees the black car park in the driveway.

"Who's that? I don't remember anyone leaving the house all morning. Today's a free day for us all." Mr Charles appears by his side to join Byron in peering out the window almost immediately.

The driver of the car finally steps out and Byron's eyes widens slightly, it was his brother's fiancee, ....well, now ex fiancee and even from so far away, Byron could make out the scowl on her face.

Lira crosses her arms over her chest, dressed in a pink oversized belted mini dress and black ankle heeled boots and she looked to be waiting for something as she quite literally vibrated in her spot. Byron almost makes a sound of realization when a very casual looking Cameron walks out, his black joggers and white shirt paired with a pair of comfortable looking crocs on his feet. Lira's scowl seemed to deepen as he comes to stand in front of her, crossing his arms too.

“I heard he called off his engagement.” Byron almost chuckles as he pushes away from the window, turning to face Mr. Charles.

“Yes, he did,” Mr. Charles answers almost immediately, now mirroring Byron's posture.

A sly grin makes it's way to Byron's face as he claps his hands together, amused, "And after five years too, I'd be mad if I was her, that's a lot of time to just waste. Why do you think that is, do you think he's seeing someone else?" He asks, scooting closer with an amused glint in his eyes.

"I don't know about that, I do not concern myself with issues not relating to you as you are already quite the handful."

At that, Byron's jaw falls open, feigning offense. When Mr Charles offers no reaction to his dramatics, he scoffs, smile never leaving his face, "Wow Mr Charles, it's like you're growing more and more snappy these days. Someone break your heart or something?" The older man's face immediately twists and Byron considers that comedic gold as he struggles to hold back a laugh.

"What someone. My wife and kids are all fine, thank you very much” Mr. Charles bites back through clenched teeth.

“I dunno...... Maybe one of your girlfriends?” Byron teases further and Mr Charles actually gasps, scandalized.

"How could you even insinuate something like that. I would never cheat on my wife!"

Byron actually laughs out loud at that, he was having too much fun as he says amidst his laughter, "Why not, you know I could hook you up with a nice girl-”