Cold Comfort

The New Batman Adventures 'Fan Fiction Love Story'

By Tayla Drago

Episode #89 - Cold Comfort

At a museum in Gotham City, local television reporter Jack Ryder is on hand to show the world the unveiling of a rare dinosaur skeleton, the Ultrasaurus, which is the culmination of thirty years of hard work by scientist Margaret Madsen. Just as they begin filming, some women in parkas oddly appear, and are quickly told they shouldn't be there. But they are not alone; Behind them is Mr. Freeze! He's back and angrier than ever. Freeze wastes no time in marching up to Margaret and declaring that it's a pity she will lose her treasure.

"There isn't an archaeological institution in the World that would buy a stolen fossil." she said. "This wouldn't be worth anything to you!"

Misunderstanding his intentions, she pleads that no archaeological institution in the world would purchase stolen goods.

"To me, no. But it's worth everything to you, isn't it? I did not come here to steal bones, Dr. Madsen, I came to steal hope!"

Freeze clarifies his intent, drawing his freeze gun and aiming it at the colossal skeleton. In a matter of ten seconds, Madsen witnesses thirty years of hard work brought to ruin. She cannot comprehend the motive behind his malicious act and tearfully begs to know why he has committed this act. Freeze's only reply is less than warming: 'Why not?'

"Bone chilling, isn't it?" said one of Mr. Freeze's henchgirl. "Where to now, sir?"

"I'll plan my next move, and for one of them. I have a special one in mind from my once beloved wife's dearest friends..." he was holding a photo of Megan Tsuki herself. "Someone like her."

That's not good to hear, Megan's in danger! A few days later, at the Gotham Tricentennial celebration (a black-tie affair), Bruce and Commissioner Gordon are having a chin wag about that very incident involving the 'lizard'.

"You mean dinosaur." Gordon corrects him.

"Whatever. I only wish to know on why Mr. Freeze wanted to freeze up something so valuable?" said Bruce.

As Megan was being Bruce's bodyguard during the event to overhear, she was on the case for a while to want to know herself.

"You got me, Bruce. Part of me is happy to see Mr. Freeze alive and well, just not him being all psycho path and all, sad." she said.

Yeah, Megan has to put her feelings aside to know that Mr. Freeze was back, but not in a good way 'at all'.

"I wish there was another way around it, Megan, believe me." Gordon added.

They both are at a loss to rationalize Freeze's motivation. As Mayor Hill opens the ceremonies, Bruce is bumped by a woman wearing a parka.

"Excuse me..."

Megan sees someone was odd about this strange woman in odd clothing.

"Huh?" she sees her as well. "Bruce, you don't think that she's...?"

"I think so. Cover me, Megan." Bruce goes somewhere to get into his costume as Batman. Fully aware of the implications, Bruce ditches the party and makes a beeline to Alfred, who is waiting with the Batsuit at Bruce's request.

Back in the ballroom, the mayor is unveiling a massive painting by Guiseppe Bianci, called 'Twilight in Gotham'. The artist himself is there to deliver a short speech, but just as he begins saying how much it means to him, the malevolent Mr. Freeze arrives to disintegrate his joy. Megan warns everyone of the danger.

"Everyone, get back!" she said.

Well, Mr. Freeze had more help on his side.

"Nobody move!" another henchwoman said with her ice gun out.