Chapter 71 - 『They Would've Loved You, And You Would've Loved Them』

"

"...Gege?"

To see someone so lifelessly still, whom you've been with for almost your whole life is mortifying, considering that you didn't know if it is already the last you'll see them breathing.

Jiang Cheng doesn't know what to thinkㅡno, he would rather not think anything at all.

"Gege..."

If he knows that he's hanging between the thread of life and death then tilted to the latter, he should've stayed...he should've stayed.

Lan Xichen who already went close to the redhead made a sound akin to agony, him trying to suppress his cries by biting his own hand while looking at Wei Xun.

He ignored the blood that freshly fell from his wound.

"A-Xun..." Lan Xichen calls in grief, feeling his own breath static.

"He was stabbed." Xiao Wang says, seeing the stab wound on the redhead's chest as he reached out with trembling hands.

"Who would evenㅡ"

Before Lan Xichen could ask who was merciless enough to do such thing to someone who's close to death, Jiang Cheng's voice rang out clearly with no remorse.

"Wei Wuxian...!"

Jiang Cheng's legs gave out as he plopped down on the cold floor, his head hung low and his lips quivered.

He could see the hairpin that was impaled on the older's chest. The familiar hairpin that Jiang Yanli placed on Wei Wuxian's hair together with his red ribbon.

That same hairpin is etched in the redhead like it was meant to nail him and make him rest on the bed forever.

"...Why..? Why would he?"

Indeed, why would he? Jiang Cheng is angry, aggrieved, and betrayed. Why would Wei Wuxian kill his own brother?

Kill?

...

Kill?

"Zewu-jun...don't." Jiang Cheng suddenly says, his hand being placed against his own face as he choked a sob.

He did not kill him.

His gege did not beg for death and pain, no.

He begged for salvation, for someone to end his painful, hopeless misery.

"Wei Wuxian is not to blame, Zewu-jun."

Jiang Cheng felt like if he didn't make it clear, all that he have right now, family, home, happiness, it will all be gone in a blink of an eye.

He will lose everything he loves if he just stayed silent and blamed the older.

It was like blaming a God for something that they did for what they thought is good, but got blamed for it when they were only trying to help.