Chapter 81 -『The Woes Of A Well-Nigh God』

It has been a year since the incident. And now, the day where the heir of Lanling Jin was birthed is currently being celebrated.

It was their dear son, grandson or nephew's birthday.

Hundreds of people from various different Sects, big or small, famous or not, have lined up to greet and present gifts to the next leader of Lanling Jin Sect.

It is a day worth celebrating.

Only if those from Yunmeng Jiang is complete.

There were two empty seats that remained beside Jiang Cheng, as it was specially requested by Jiang Yanli herself despite the protests and hidden scowls of her younger brother.

Those seats were for Wei Wuxian and Xue Yang.

Jiang Cheng knew it himself that Wei Wuxian wouldn't go to Jin Ling's birthday party if he had an ounce of shame left on him.

He could feel a pair of eyes looking at him then. When he looked at the source out of spite, he sees the redhead looking at the whole pavilion like he wasn't staring at Jiang Cheng for a while.

Ever since yesterday, in that encounter, they haven't talked then.

Despite the guilt brewing in his chest, he still have his pride. That pride that can soar up to the heavens if one may say.

Though it was understandable if it was him.

The last time he had forsaken his pride, he was faced with a bitter betrayal.

Cale's head drooped, making him look apathetic despite being in a joyous occasion.

"Baobei."

There was a hand that held his, the warmth permeates against his cold fingers making him squeeze it hard.

"I'm fine." He says, yet he lays his head atop Lan Xichen's shoulder as if he was a child seeking for comfort.

There were only two of them in the upper level of the pavilion, considering that the world didn't know that he was alive despite being poisoned.

"Drink some water first, you look pale." Lan Xichen says as he softly beckons the redhead to drink.

Cale flinched, his eyes shaking in hesitance as he looked at the cup that was being offered to him. Don't get him wrong, he would take anything that Lan Xichen had and will offer him.

But the trauma and guilt that was instilled in his mind still lingered like a leech.

Lan Xichen saw this, making him scream at himself internally for being a stupid idiot.

Before Cale could grab the cup from the older's hands, Lan Xichen drank the contents of the cup before refilling it again with water.

Cale blinks in surprise for a while, before letting out a small smile.

"You didn't have to do that."

Lan Xichen drank the water first to let the redhead know that it wasn't poisoned, both the water and cup itself before he offered the liquid for the second time.

"No, I insist. I will taste all your food first until you have regained your confidence then."

That was how much he love and cherish him.

Lans only love once after all.

Cale huffs, now confidently drinking the water that was offered to him.

"Great job, baobei." Lan Xichen says as he ruffled the latter's hair, making it messy for a while before fixing it back to its usual style.

The redhead felt warm, the tension his shoulders slowly dissipating.