Chapter 77 - 『Hiraeth』

There was a fist that landed against Wei Ying's face. And before he could fall down from the impact, the perpetrator grabbed his collar.

"You said we could finally go home!"

Those words were enough to make his guilt more grave, much harder to carry the burden in his shoulders.

Those shoulders are too frail to carry such a heavy responsibility for someone young like him.

"That's what I thought...hoped toㅡ!"

Wei Ying found it hard to breathe, he found it hard to keep his tears from falling down.

The words that Xue Yang kept uttering was what he wanted too. He hoped to...

He wanted to go home.

But now, it is not possible anymore. Just the simple thought of it drives Wei Ying into madness.

He did this to himself, to the two of them.

Home is a place where he can no longer return to, lest he wants everyone he cherish be seen as the accomplice for helping someone who murdered the Sect Leader of Lanling Jin.

He's enough, he is enough as a villain he is.

Yiling Patriarch, it seems like he'll be entitled as such in this life once again.

"If that's what you thought then why didn't you try to at least alter the future you knew?!"

He wanted to, indeed he did.

"Some useless regressor you are!"

It was not like Wei Ying had wanted to go back in time, it's not like he was given a choice to choose. He didn't even have his whole memory with him.

Wei Ying let the tears fall, "I am indeed useless, aren't I?"

Xue Yang could only grit his teeth, quite surprised that he could still feel frustration.

"At least you have self-awareness."

The younger couldn't bear to see the holder's face for a while, he is quite afraid of what he will do to him the longer he stays in the same space as Wei Ying.

There is a heavy weight on Xue Yang's chest (which quite surprised him again) when he simply watched the exchange that happened between Jiang Cheng and Wei Ying, he couldn't quite believe that the older would go to such lengths and bound him by a measly nail.

If Xue Yang could point the feeling if he was still alive, it would be betrayal.

He felt betrayed.

So in order to calm down, he needs to go away. Just for a short while, a short time was all he needed or God knows what hurtful words he's about to say.

So he left, without a sound. The faster, the better.

And Wei Ying had simply watched the younger leave silently, with a heavy feeling in his chest.

Wei Ying stares blankly for a while before looking up towards the moon, the heavenly body utterly visible even in the middle of the day.

"I miss..."

His gege? No, it was not only the redhead.

He misses the memories he had made in the past together with the other people he cherish.

He then slaps himself across his own face.

"Stop wallowing in your self-pity, Wei Wuxian. You don't deserve it."

He simply took a deep breath before standing up and started walking away.

He walked endlessly without any direction in his mind, not minding the crowd who were busy doing their own businesses. He couldn't care less.