Chapter 74 - 『Peony And Lotus Made In Ginko Leaves』

How do you classify death, as death?

Is it when you realized that you died? Or is it when you open your eyes and found yourself in the afterlife? Or is it when you remembered how you died?

How do you even know if you're actually dead?

How do you know if your time in the living world is up?

"Oh, he's dead."

"Of course he's dead. It's been a year or so since you all left him die from hunger and the rats traveling around in this cell."

Crouching down, he hums petulantly and eyes the right arm of the dead person.

"I wonder if it would work when it's detached from the main body?"

The other sighs, completely ignoring the insane question.

"Well, what other choice do you even have?"

Wei Ying hums, opening the cell before dragging Xue Yang with him.

"You know the drill brat, get his arm." The older says to him like he was a dog who is training him for fetch.

"Arf arf, bastard."

Just as he says that, he easily tore the arm off from the deceased Wen Zhuliu, whose body is surprisingly still in good condition.

"I said just the arm, not including the entire torso."

"How about yo do it then?"

As Xue Yang said that, Wei Ying immediately made a face one akin to disgust.

"Why should I? Yore the stronger one here."

...

What in the actual fuㅡ

"Can you please bother to make it a clean cut? The smell and appearance is nauseating."

Xue Yang couldn't believe that the older even have the audacity to ask such things.

"Stop being a wussy and create a talisman already. Jiang Wanyin may have already noticed that we're here."

Just as he said that, the hurried steps from two to four people can be heard from afar.

"Wei Wuxian." Xue Yang says with a stern tone after seeing the older spacing out.

"Let's visit Shijie and our nephew first, shall we?"

"You dumㅡ!"

The next moment Xue Yang opens his eyes, he found himself in a familiar place, one of the rooms in the Lotus Pier.

Before the younger could hit Wei Ying's head for being reckless, sounds of gibberish babbles could be heard echoing, mainly from the crib at some edge of the room filled with various different toys hanging above.

The two walked towards it with a silent agreement between them, doing their best to make haste and leave after seeing the infant as soon as possible.

Round, innocent eyes looked above as they become speechless from the sight of such a child, finding it unbelievable at how adorable and fragile a human being can be.

"He's quite adorable." Xue Yang starts, moving away from the small hand that tried to reach him since he doesn't have a clue on what to do and since he have dirty blood on his clothes from the mutilated arm.

"Yes...but he undeniably looks a lot like that peacock." Wei Ying shares his opinion, quite unsure.

"Really? He looked a bit like Jiang Wanyin...though it makes sense since Shijie and him are siblings."