Chapter 91 - 『As The God Mourns』

There were times that Cale had felt so alone

There were times that Cale had felt so alone. The repeated memories of the family he had in Rowoon kept hunting him in his teenage days.

And now that he is an adult, the world gave him another memory of grief to carry.

It wasn't even a whole day, but Cale felt like it was already decades when he was staying in that cave, and it was only minutes when his grief is still so fresh that it pricked his entire being.

One after another, realization hits him again and again. They are gone, they will never come back. The only way to see them now is through his memories, through the records he have when they were alive still.

When he realizes this, nothing in this world made any sense any more. It felt like his whole world ended, yet the sun kept and will rise day after day.

Why?

The cold body in his arms are becoming more and more stiff whether he liked it or not.

It was supposed to be warm.

"...Gege."

When Cale look up, he sees Xue Yang in front of him, carrying their Shijie's body.

Just the sight of it felt like someone had stepped on his chest over and over again.

"Ah...Xue Yang...where is Xiao Wang?"

As he heard his question, Xue Yang slowly kneels on the ground, minding the girl in his arms as Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng laid side by side.

"He says...that you should go to Yunmeng first..."

When Xue Yang looks at the redhead, he could see how sunken his eyes were that it could rival his own ones.

"He also says...that you should not get your hopes up."

Ah.

At that moment, Cale's mind had shut itself down.

He does not have enough emotional capacity to acknowledge anything right now.

The redhead slowly stands up, stumbling again due to the weight of Jiang Cheng's body. Xue Yang tried to catch him, but he immediately fixed his porture and stood up with no problem at all.

If Xue Yang was alive and have a beating heart, he's sure it would've ached for the redhead.

Cale didn't speak at all, he just stood there for a while even though his arms are already shaking and sore enough due to the added weight. But he wants to carry him...

He wants to bring them back to Lotus Pier, to their home.

"Let's...go back."

Both Xue Yang and Cale does not know if they can still call Yunmeng, home.

For all they know, they would be get kicked out the moment they set foot in that place.

And even though they would chase them away, Cale will always have the duty to bring Jiang Cheng and Jiang Yanli back.