Chapter 104 - 『When Does A Man Become A Monster?』

He'll be fine?

Bullshit.

Xue Yang instantly regrets everything the moment he steps foot in the bustling streets of Yueyang. Despite covering his face with a bamboo hat, he still couldn't forget the memories and the events that transpired in this very place.

Despite him being a corpse now, his body still jolts every now and then as if his defense mechanism is a second away from activation whenever a random villager brushes shoulders with him.

Years of abuse from numerous strangers is nothing to brush off, and Xue Yang found it quite hard to believe that his lunatic past self is able to run around in Yueyang with no care in the world.

He even fooled around with the blind Xiao Xingchen back then.

"Let's go rest in a nearby inn."

Thankfully, Xiao Xingchen managed to cut him off from his trance by speaking.

Xue Yang nods before walking away first, the older simply following the latter suit since he's the one who knows the place better.

"Welcome sirs! Table for two or checking in for the day?"

Xue Yang let Xiao Xingchen do all the talking as he sat on the most inconspicuous table of the inn.

Xiao Xingchen soon arrived, sitting at the seat across Xue Yang as another person came to them, smiling professionally.

"What order would you like to have, dear cultivators?"

"Two of your best teas, please."

Before the worker could leave with Xiao Xingchen's order, Xue Yang spoke in a hasty manner.

"Add a plate of lotus flower crisps."

There was silence after that before a continuing, "...please."

When the two of them were left alone, Xue Yang sighs to himself.

No one spoke, even Xiao Xingchen who will do so if given the chance to be alone with the younger.

Perhaps it's his way to offer at least a bit of consideration with how the younger is acting ever since they arrived in Yueyang.

"Here are your orders, daozhangs. Please enjoy your stay."

Maybe the worker noticed the awkward tension hanging around them, considering she left immediately right after placing the snacks on their table.

It was Xiao Xingchen who first picked a piece of the sweet pastry, humming to himself before drinking the tea that was served along with it.

"This is delicious. You have good taste, Xue Yang."

Xue Yang couldn't help but huff before picking one of the lotus flower crisps, placing it in his mouth before munching it.

"Gege's lotus flower crisps are still the best."

Xue Yang nibbled on the flavorless pastry in his mouth, frowning from time to time since every food he consumes are still tasteless in his stiff tongue.

There was no sweet aftertaste to savor in the pastry, nor the bitter tea to wash down the remnants of it.

Concious fierce corpses like him have no need for food. But still, even if eating feels like a chore to him, Xue Yang continues to eat.

It was only one of the way to remind himself that he was once a human like those around him, living their mundane life.

He is dead, and he is trying his best to live half the human he was.