for your name's sake

Credits to whitefawn

————————————————————————

You can feel the anger running down within you, waves of confusion and frustration making your face feel hot. You stomp through long grass until you've reached the treeline, and then you are pushing your way through bushes and branches that strangely do not sting as they run across your skin. A sigh escapes you as you feel the forest pull you in, a welcome hum as your feet sink into the ground but never stop moving.

"Don't follow me,"

You had said it out of spite, out of the boiling feeling under your skin, your self-righteous belief that this monster would not hurt you. His face hadn't changed, hadn't fallen. He had said ' stay' . You shouldn't have pushed it off, should have stayed. You look around now, open your eyes wide to adjust to the dimmed moonlight through the leaves of the trees, you find nothing of worth. The dark seems to swallow you, a void looking down through the leaves now instead of twinkling stars. Your steps become uneven, a fear of drowning rising in your body as it feels as though you are treading water, growing tired.

"Stay,"

You can hear him say it, hear the rise of his voice before it's being covered by the sound of cicadas crepitating. They buzz and submerge you further into mind-numbing because the goal is passiveness, to have you give up. Vines seem to kiss at your ankles, threatening to constrict as each step forward makes your stomach turn. Your fear is now unmistakable, your body coming up to hinder you with a tremor in your legs.

" Stay "

It sounds off again, pulls a groan from your lips as you suck in the humid air, wet down your throat, stuffy where it fills your lungs. You would not just Stay, you are not a fucking dog. You shake out your anger and grip fallen tree branches with newfound will even as that jagged dry bark bites back with splinters in your fingertips and palms. You suppress the ache of exhaustion.

'Stay'

It comes quiet, a blip of a word as finally you fall forward. Your knees landed hard on the ground, pebbles digging into your skin with a painful wince. The stinging brought you strange clarity as you forced yourself to raise your head. Determination makes you crawl until a clearing opens itself to you and tickles your arms with the gentle licks of blades of grass.

"You are going to die here."

You cough up the words and spit out the taste until the fit subsides. It sounded like him whispering in your ear, ghosts of the feeling of his breath crawling across your skin. It's dry heaving and the grass now feels as though it is leaving razor-thin cuts as you move. You can feel your heart palpitating as your ears begin to ring. Your hands dig into the ground as you crawl to the middle of that field and fight desperately to breathe. He hadn't said that, no, no, he hadn't said that.

You are someplace you shouldn't be, it's clear now, no more wool over your eyes. It's a feeling like the very air is trying to suffocate you, pressing against your skin. It's that same pressure all over your body as you fight to stand. It's only when your knees straighten and buckle for a moment, feet so firmly in the long grass now scattered with wildflowers does the pressure stop. You wobble as that weight is released and stare at your surroundings.

A pit in your stomach opens and waits to swallow you. It's the same one that held you captive when your house creaked or you couldn't help but feel the need to look behind you. More flowers bloom lazily, grow in front of your eyes, bluebells that droop in those vibrant shades of violet. It calms you for a moment and feels familiar to just watch as the world moves without you at a pace it shouldn't. It's disarming in the worst way.