helpful

credits to deardjo

————————————————————————

The air was stifling hot, your fingers were cramping up and the words on your textbooks were starting to blur into one big mess. There were so many books laid out in front of you, pictures of cartooned organs and human anatomy that on any other day, would be of massive help. But right now they just made your head hurt.

When your fingers cramped up for the fourth time, you let go of your pencil and watched it bounce on the sheets in front of you. You were in serious need of a massage, tension rippling in your body that would only perish once your final exams were over and done with. It wasn't long until you took them, two weeks to be exact but the stress was weighing heavier on you than you'd like to admit.

George had been the true pillar in your life, though. He'd been so patient and tried to help in any way he could when you'd seek comfort in his arms and awkwardly stumbled words. Poor thing didn't know how to make your stress go away, but he certainly tried his best and that was all that mattered.

You'd been neglecting him for over a week now, but he was nothing if not understanding and he took advantage of that time to spend more in front of his computer on Discord with his friends while you holed up in your shared bedroom. You'd first opted to sit next to him while he played, edited and streamed but you'd found him too big of a distraction so it hadn't been long before you migrated to your bedroom. Hearing him from down the hall was comfort enough.

It was as if your thoughts had summoned him, the creak of the door pulling your attention to it and you blinked away the blur in your eyes to watch his upper body and head peak through the open crack.

"You alright?" He asked tentatively, and you nodded with a wave of your hand; Gesturing for him to come in.

He'd gone quiet in his office a while ago and you figured he'd gone offline.

"You need a break." George murmured as he stepped inside, coming to stand by the bed.

You blinked up at him and realised the blur in your eyes were from unshed tears of exhaustion. It seemed as if George realised it at the same time you did, letting out a surprised soft laugh as he pouted his bottom lip.

"Babe." He reached out both of his hands to cradle your face, thumbs reaching out to swipe beneath your eyes. "This isn't healthy."

"I'm not sad, I swear." You placed your hands over his, letting out a watery laugh. "I'm just tired. These words aren't making sense anymore."

George made a sound in his throat, turning to plop down on the bed. You tried to keep the scowl from showing on your face when he moved around the meticulously arranged papers on the sheets, but he saw it and grimaced in something you guessed were apologetic.

"How about we go out and get something to eat?" Your boyfriend suggested, laying down on his side and propping his head up with the help of his hand.

"I'm not hungry." That was a lie.

You'd been cooped up in your room for over - you glanced at the clock and winced - three hours, and the last time you'd ate was a bowl of yogurt and granola. It wasn't healthy, and you always made a point of eating before your insides started twisting with hunger, but it was easy to get carried away while revising.

"Don't pull that shit on me." George's eyes rolled, reaching a hand out to nudge you in the side. You jumped with a startled giggle, swatting at his hand. "Just an hour and then we'll be back, I promise."

You shook your head, no matter how tempting that offer was. You knew yourself well enough to know that you'd go out to eat, come back and then push studying aside to cuddle in bed with him. And seeing as the both of you hadn't gone further than kissing for the past week, George would definitely not protest if you procrastinated in order to spend some quality time with him.