a Modern Prometheus

Credits to yeslove

————————————————————————

You try to think about it now. Brows screwing together as you will the memory to come. It was almost a year ago now. winter. Your mum told you to do something,, get something? no- play outside. She wasn't the most attentive mother maybe. Your breaths labour at the effort it takes to recall anything before Wilbur.

Wilbur... Wilbur... Wilbur...

As you feel your bed dip you flutter your eyes open and smile warmly. A clammy hand cups your soft cheek. You let out a soft exhale and lean into the touch "mm,, papa,," "what's wrong love? You look so... distressed." he swipes his thumb across your forehead. It's rough with calluses. Always, his hands were so rough. "You're sweating,," he's hovering above you, holding himself up on his free hand. His hair falls down around his face completely wildly and he isn't wearing his glasses. You shake your head softly "Did I wake you up papa?" your voice comes out mousy and weak from sleep. A smile breaks across his face as he shakes his head "I couldn't sleep. I came in to check on you but... Seems like we're in the same boat, hm?" he leans down and presses a kiss to your temple "so tell me.. what's going on in my little girl's head?" The hot whisper against your ear wracks your body with a shiver. "mm, my... mother..uhm- your sister.. I don't remember her much.." You avoid his eyes as you speak but he cuts them to you anyways, and as if he's tasted something bitter, his mouth twitches. He grabs your chin and guides your gaze back to his,

not harshly, you remind yourself, he's just being stern.

"That woman... she wasn't your mother. She neglected you. Every time I would visit I would see it. She never gave you what you wanted, what you needed. She would send you away to play. She Didn't even take the time to sit around and pretend to listen. Then she had the nerve to say I crossed a line-" He lets out a soft bitter chuckle and furrows his brows, rubbing the pad of his thumb over the skin of your bottom lip. "-By giving you the love and attention you deserve." your bottom lip trembles slightly and you will tears to go away.

He loves me so much, you think.

"she tried to take you away from me.."

He saved me, He really saved me.

"That woman may have given birth to you.." his thumb presses further into your mouth and you open it lazily to allow him access, the rough digit against your wet tongue. "But I created you." his deep brown eyes bore into yours with a promise that he could eat you whole. He lets his thumb drag back out of your mouth and caress your jaw, the spit leaving a trail of cold wet in its wake. He presses a kiss to your forehead before pressing his own against yours. "There's no need to worry about her now. I found you out in the cold. Alone. I brought you here. Made you a home. I picked up all the broken pieces. I put you back together. You're safe here." You study his features for a moment, his face so close to yours. His dark eyelashes against his pale cheeks, his freckles. The words come out before you can stop them "Like.. frankenstein" he opens his eyes and pulls back, smiling down at you. "We read that book together didn't we?" you nod, a stupid giddy smile creeping across your face. He looked so happy that you made the comparison. Your face goes warm. A lopsided smirk spreads across his face as he brushes a bit of hair away from your eyes. "Are you my little monster then?" a familiar tingle shoots through your small frame and you nod your head again, words creeping away from you. You feel the bed shift as Wilbur moves to stand up from his position over you. The fuzziness in your brain swells and you panic as he pulls away, standing up next to your bed. You look up to him with wide eyes and he looks down at you with a pitying glare, knitting his eyebrows together and practically cooing at you. "Oh baby girl, I'm not leaving you.." he bends over and wraps his arms around you. You slowly sit up with his movements and bury your head into his neck.