Thirty Eight - The King That Died

"If Aegon even breathes the wrong way, I will send a thousand goblets flying his way and stab him with your sword." Elyana ranted to her husband as they approached the Dining Hall to have supper with his family. Including his half sister and her sons.

"Perhaps you should take out your anger on my nephews instead of my brother on this night. You have all your life to torment Aegon." Aemond chuckled, amused at his wife's fiery personality. It only worked to prove that he had fallen in love with his soulmate and not some feeble minded lady.

"Them too. Slimy little short bastards." Elyana chuckled as they went into the Dining Hall. She looked around to take in the scene, assesing the vibe of the night.

Helaena was engaged in conversation with Otto, whilst Alicent listened to them talk. Aegon drank wine by a corner, whilst the Velaryon boys stood in the other corner of the table talking to their betrotheds. Rhaenyra and Daemon sat in their places, chatting amongst themselves.

Aegon came over to the pair, eager to talk ill of his half sister, but he was received with a glare from his sister-in-law. "Oh come on, dear sister. Isn't the broken nose enough? Can you stop hating me and hate the bastards instead?" Aegon chuckled, moving to stand next to his brother.

"I will never stop hating you." Elyana stated and crossed her arms over her chest, moving away from her husband and towards Helaena. Elyana greeted her with a smile and sat down next to her, leaving the head of the table open for her husband.

"How are you tonight, sister?" Elyana asked and then gave Otto and the Queen small bows of her head in greetings.

"I am well. Jaehaera misses you, you've not been to see the kids in a few days." Helaena smiled kindly as she played with a small toy. Elyana sighed and gave her a small smile. Helaena was the kindest soul that the kingdom had to offer.

"I am the worst. I had promised Jaehaera to take her to a tailor for new dresses but I have not. I am much too tired these days, the babe is a wild one on my belly." Elyana excused herself with the princess, who shrugged and nodded.

"It is not a matter, she loves you still." Helaena assured Elyana, and the statement made her smile widely. Through the moons, Elyana had taken to visiting her new niece and nephews as much as she could. The children were sweetlings, and it was great practice for when she had her own.

"As I her." Elyana answered with a smile, turning to the Queen who was watching the interaction with a small smile. Then Elyana's eyes trailed to Rhaenyra and Daemon. The princess was speaking to her husband, yet the man had his eyes set directly on Elyana. Their eyes met, and neither planned to break the gaze away from the other. A power struggle, it seemed like.

Then the door to the Dining Hall opened and in was the King carried on his seat. Everyone stood up hastily to greet him, so Elyana followed them. Her heart would have strained for the sick man, if he hadn't been such a bad father to her husband. Everyone moved to sit down, and Aemond went to sit at the head of the table and next to Elyana.

"How good it is to see you all tonight... together." The King said weakly, and Elyana felt out of place. She had never even seen the King before tonight, not since she was a girl. Did he even know that Aemond had married?

"Prayer before we begin?" The Queen Alicent asked, and the King agreed.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest." Elyana was surprised that the Queen mentioned Vaemond Velaryon, and she gave her props for it. Alicent was bold.