Thirty Nine - The King That Should Be

King of my Heart - Taylor Swift

If Aemond squeezed Elyana's hand any tighter, she was sure it would crush her bones. They rode in the royal wheelhouse towards the dragonpit where Aegon's coronation was set to take place along with Helaena, who looked like she had seen a ghost. Elyana had asked her multiple times if she was okay, but the princess would not answer. Elyana was nervous, and she knew her husband was as well. Who knew how Rhaenyra would react to this?

Elyana rested her free hand on her belly and rubbed it slightly, trying not too think about the dangers that laid ahead for herself and her family. When the wheelhouse came to a halt, the doors opened and Helaena was the first one being helped down by the Kingsguard. The commonfolk chanted their names as they were escorted inside the pit, and Elyana kept a manicured smile on her face as she waved at them whilst she walked.

"We love you, Lady Elyana!"

"Gods save you!"

"You are a blessing!"

Aemond had a strong grip on his wife as they made their way to the stage that had been set for the coronation, and he watched as she waved and smiled to the people around them. They thought her a God, the way that they reached for Elyana proved it. Aemond was glad that his wife was loved by the commonfolk. He was a proud man, and he was proud to have her by his side.

When they were in their places in the stage, Otto Hightower came forth to the middle, finally adressing what was happening. "People of King's Landing... today is the saddest of days. Our beloved king... Viserys the Peaceful... is dead." The crowd gasped in shock.

Elyana looked around the Kingsguard, and she was well confused when she noticed that Erryk Cargyll was nowhere to be seen among them. Though his brother was standing dutifully next to Criston Cole. "But it is also the most joyous of days... for as his spirit left us... he whispered his final wish: that his firstborn son, Aegon... should succeed him." Elyana watched as Aegon came forth to the stage slowly. Frankly he looked like he wanted to die.

"It is your great good fortune and privilege to be here to witness this: a new day for our city... a new day for our realm. A new king... to lead us!" Otto Hightower announced as Septon Eustace came forth to bless Aegon.

Elyana's eyes found Helanea, who was barely looking at Aegon. Instead she looked at the ground. Then her eyes drifted to Aemond, who was watching his brother with a stern yet stoic look on his face. "The crown of the Conqueror, passed down through generations. Let the Seven bear witness: Aegon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne." The crown was placed upon his head by Criston Cole, there was no turning back now. Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen had been usurped by her brother.

Aegon stood up slowly, looking to his mother first, then to his sister and brother. Each of them bowed their heads to the new King, and when his eyes landed on Elyana she did the exact same.

"All hail His Grace, Aegon, Second of his Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm." Scattered applause began around the pit, but then the crowd erupted into loud cheers for their King. Especially when he unsheathed his sword and brought it forth. The commonfolk were happy with their new ruler it seemed.

Suddenly, the walls of the dragonpit were bursting and screams of terrors shook the commonfolk. Elyana was pulled backwards by her husband, who moved to shield her with his body. A dragon. Elyana's heart was threatening to beat out of her chest as she watched a large dragon enter the pit and move ever so slowly towards them. Debris and dust was clouding the air, yet the roars and screams were as clear as day.