Forty Two - The Work Of Rhaenyra The Cruel

"Behold the work of Rhaenyra the cruel!"

The crowd was wild, shouting in clear indignation as the carriages rode through the streets of King's Landing. Elyana sat next to Helaena, holding the girl's hand as they both cried quietly for their children. Next to Helaena sat Alicent, who had a linen towel to dry her tears every now and then. The common folk threw flowers and petals to the three women, to show their support.

Elyana stared at the carriage ahead, one that was parading the corpses of Princess Alyana and Prince Jaehaerys Targaryen. Elyana shook her head and sniffed, squeezing Helaena's hand tightly. How did they get here? Where did everything go so wrong? A shadow cast over the city, a shadow in the form of Vhagar, then another in the form of Sunfyre.

Elyana had never felt such hate in her entire life as she did in that exact moment. Rhaenyra had to pay, everybody had to pay for what they took from her. "Behold! Dead innocents by the hand of the Pretender Queen!" The herald announced loudly, once more making the commonfolk roar in disbelief and hate.

Elyana shook her head as the salt streams pouring from her eyes fell into her lap, staining her skirts. She did not deserve this. Why would they take her daughter? A babe? Was this fair? The carriage came to a halt as they reached the hill on which the funeral pyre for the children was being held.

The three women got out slowly and joined the nobles who were already standing around the wood of the pyre. Elyana moved to her mother and to Lucia, who were both crying quietly. Lucia grabbed Elyana's hands and gave them a tight squeeze, trying to assure her that everything was going to be alright. The Silent Sisters quietly set the two bodies up side by side on the pyre, and Elyana wanted to die.

Aemond and Aegon landed their dragons shortly after, and the prince was quick to approach his wife and take her in his arms. He planted a kiss to the top of Elyana's head and rubbed her back, giving her a small nod. Elyana burst out in tears once more, and then the Septon began his talking and praying. "No..." Elyana cried, turning to Aemond and burying her face into his chest as she did.

Aemond held his wife tightly, feeling completely and utterly defeated. This was his fault, he knew that well. He killed Lucerys, he started the war, he opened the door for the wrath of the opposition. He put his wife through this. He was the one that got on his dragon and chased the bastard. His one eye was fixed on the pyre, on the tiny body that was meant to be his princess.

It was so tiny. A tiny babe that had not even come to full term. Aemond felt sick as he watched the pyre be prepared, and somehow he felt as if this was just a nightmare. He felt as if he would wake up soon with his pregnant wife in his arms. But it was not, it was real and happening.

Before anyone could react, Elyana had slipped from Aemond's grasp and ran to the pyre. She kneeled before it and threw her arms over her daughter, loud sobs escaping from her body as she weeped. Aemond rushed to her, helping her back up to her feet but she pushed him off and kneeled once more. Elyana sobbed quietly as she looked at the babe's body covered in gauze. She shook her head and planted a kiss on what would be her forehead, and then she stood up.

Aemond guided her backwards and then Aegon came foward, his face void of any emotion. The King moved to Sunfyre and gave one look to his brother, who responded with a nod. "Dracarys!" Helaena's screams could be heard as the fire engulfed the children, and Elyana instantly buried her face in Aemond's chest. Her daughter was gone, turned into ashes.

The best thing to come to Elyana's life was just turned into nothing before her eyes. It was over, her daughter was not meant to be. Elyana felt like time stood still as the fire burned. The sadness in her eyes turned to fury as she watched the pyre. Her mind shifting from what could've been her daughter, to her murderers.