Fifty Four - A Peculiar Council

"Lady Elyana," one of the chamber maids stepped forth towards her, "the Prince Regent Aemond has sent one of his guards here with a gift." The girl announced meekly, interrupting Lucia and Elyana who were having tea in Elyana's chambers.

Elyana blushed, "let him in." She told the girl and smiled sheepishly at Lucia, who sighed and pressed her lips together. Clearly not amused. "I would adore this endlessly if that husband of yours hadn't slapped me and sent me to the dungeons." Lucia yawned with a roll of her eyes.

Elyana reached for her friend's hand and gave it a hard squeeze, "I am forever apologetic for his actions. What he did has no excuse." Her tone of voice was soft and highly apologetic. Lucia gave Elyana a small smile and shrugged, "You didn't do it. It was him."

Lucia sipped her tea. "Though I am glad you are no longer yapping about him sending you off to the Silent Sisters." Elyana rolled her eyes and nudged Lucia's shoulder playfully, then her attention shifted to the guard who had just entered her chambers. He carried a small box.

The women watched as he strided across the room and placed the small box on the tea table. "The Prince Regent Aemond has sent this for you, my lady. Ordered me to let you know he will be late this night. He is apologetic for it." The man spoke in a cold manner, his eyes fixed straight ahead instead of on Elyana.

"Thank you. You can go." Elyana dismissed him. The guard bowed his head and did as he was told. She opened the box excitedly, unveiling a beautiful sapphire encrusted tiara. "Woah..." she breathed out as she inspected it carefully, the silver band was engraved. AT, on one side. ER, on the other.

Then Lucia snatched the gift from her hands and inspected it. "This is... amazing. Woah... He really is spending all of his gold on forgiveness." She breathed out, setting it back on the steel box it had came in. Elyana smirked, "I do not mind it. Three weeks of expensive gifts is the least I deserve after what he put me through." She shrugged, and Lucia hummed.

It had been three weeks since they had made up, and while things were amazing between them, he was still trying to gain her favor back. Aemond sent expensive gifts for Elyana every single day, most of them accompanied by a heartfelt note, explaining if he had to stay at council longer than expected— or if he had to leave to patrol the skies unexpectedly.

Aemond worked hard as Prince Regent, the war did not cease— if only it grew tougher— and it certainly took a toll on him. Though this time around, he did not let it affect his relationship with his wife. He struggled, but it was fine, because at the end of the day he had his wife there comforting him through the burdens the Crown put on him.

Elyana focused her energy on sewing circles with Lucia, taking care of Maelor, and visiting Helaena. She wished to know about the war, but Aemond did not budge on his stance. His wife would take no part in it, and that was that.

Those council cunts do not deserve your presence. And you do not belong there, you belong in our rooms. Where you're safe, was Aemond's reasoning. And Elyana did not contest it much, not when everything was turning out better for their relationship.

"My brothers sent me a scroll." Lucia suddenly informed, snapping Elyana out of her thoughts.

"Is all well in Risley Glade?" Elyana asked her friend with a polite smile.

Lucia shook her head, "our garrison was called to battle. Father was wounded, he was able to get back to our seat but still... he is unwell. And our garrison is weak, many of our men died... died for your husband."

Elyana grimaced at the news, reaching over the table to take Lucia's hand. "I am sorry, Luce. I am sure he will come out of this well, he must." Elyana said, trying to remain as positive as possible. Lucia gently— thinking Elyana would not notice— snatched her hand away.