Forty Nine - Nothing New

The waiting was a sadness, that faded into madness. Elyana could not deal with the waiting and uncertainty that followed after Aemond left for Rook's Rest. Every day she paced her chambers, looking out the window— praying to see Vhagar soaring over King's Landing but as the days passed, she realized he would be gone for a long time. And maybe that was for the best, maybe she preferred him away from her.

A week had passed, and the council had not yet heard any news from the cavalcade. It was making Elyana go insane. "Tis an abomination that they are holding court as if there is not a war outside of these city gates." Lucia would complain lazily, shifting her weight on her feet as she looked around the Great Hall.

Elyana took a small breath, "Hush now..." she said, looking around the room filled with faces she had begun to despise. Because why shouldn't she hate them? None of them liked her, not really. Elyana and her lady stood in a corner of the Great Hall, their eyes glazing over the nobles that stood around. Most of them were women, who attended court to try and find some sort of normality in the middle of the war.

"Look at Corynne, fawning over Conrad as if her life depends on it." Lucia snarled, her eyes fixed on the Lannister girl who was shamelessly flirting with Elyana's guard. Elyana hated that Lucia still gossiped as if life was normal, but she did not judge her— as she knew she only did it to try and keep her own mind at ease. She could hardly blame her.

"It does depend on it, she's getting old and losing her youthful beauty," Elyana let herself indulge in the gossip, it helped her remember simpler times when her problems were petty and unimportant. She missed it, as now her problems were infertility and the impending sense of doom that came with a war.

"Ew... Corynne Lannister and youthful beauty do not go together, El." Lucia said, making a vomiting gesture in a dramatic manner. Elyana chuckled and shook her head at her best friend's antics. She would have gone mad a long time ago if it were not for Lucia. Elyana sighed and pressed her lips together, and then almost as if on cue— she heard a cane thumping on the ground. A sound she knew all too well.

She turned around to see Larys Strong making his way through the crowd and towards her and Lucia. It was strange, how somehow his smile made her heart drop. Elyana smiled widely at him, a fake manicured smile. It was bright and lively, yet her eyes were vacant of any real emotion. "As always, my lady, you are a sight for more than sore eyes." Larys said when he reached them.

Elyana swallowed and gave him another fake smile, "Larys, as always you flatter me. I am not deserving." she said. Though she almost vomited right there on his deformed foot, the words were very obviously a lie.

"I seek you out not in vain, sweet Lady Elyana. I have information that screams your name." Larys said, his gaze shifting to Lucia. His eyes spoke, almost urging her to leave them. Lucia turned to Elyana, and when her lady gave her one sharp nod— Lucia walked away from the two of them dubiously.

"Do tell, Larys. What information do you speak of? What screams my name?" She asked him.

He clicked his tongue and took a deep breath, "Tis regarding the Prince Aemond... and his transgressions on Storm's End. I've received a letter from Lord Borros." Larys said slowly.

"And?" Elyana asked with a raise of her brow. She had idea what else there was to know about Storm's End.

"And I believe we must discuss it in private. I will pass by your chambers at night, do wait up for me. This is of upmost importance." Larys said easily, a notion that made Elyana confused. And extremely worried.

"Why can you not share this now?" Elyana wondered.

"This information will not come without charge for you, my lady. But do not worry. It won't be expensive." Larys said with a twisted smile on his face. A smile that made her heart drop to the depths of the Seven Hells.