Thirty Nine - War is All but Fair

"I win again! Where is your mind at, Elyana? You are making this too easy." Lucia chuckled as she knocked over a chess piece carved to be a dragon. Elyana sighed and gave her lady a tight lip smile. Her mind was not in the chess game, her mind was someplace else. With her husband, to be exact. "I am sorry. I happen to be distracted." Elyana sighed as she looked around her parlor.

Helaena was looking out of the window of the parlor whilst the twins and Maelor ran around playing with their wooden soldiers. Elyana took a deep breath and rubbed her belly, daydreaming of her own child running around with it's cousins soon. "Why?" Lucia asked as she set up the board to start another game.

"Aemond has been very busy with council lately, I worry he is not taking good care of himself. I've barely even seen him in the last week since he returned from Storm's End. The council meets until late at night." Elyana huffed and rubbed her eyes, trying to get her mind to stop thinking for a moment.

"Do not fret, sister. This will all be over so soon." Helaena whispered as she moved to where the two girls were sitting and joined them. Elyana smiled and sighed heavily, then watched as Helaena and Lucia began a new chess game. She believed Helaena, she had a knack for the future. Elyana stood up from her seat and moved to the window where Helaena had been standing, looking out into the night sky. So late yet the men were still in council.

"Auntie, play with me!" Jaehaera beamed and tugged at Elyana's skirts, handing her a rag doll that had been sewn to her by Elyana herself. She smiled as she took it in her hands and kneeled, taking Jaehaera in her arms and playing with her.

Hours would pass until Helaena thought it time to visit the Queen in her chambers with the children. An activity that Elyana enjoyed joining very much, as it was a way to bond with Aemond's mother. Elyana took to grabbing Jaehaera's hand whilst Lucia grabbed Jaehaerys' and Helaena took Maelor in her arms.

They were escorted by Helaena's guard and midway there, Elyana beamed when they crossed paths with Aemond. "Darling..." He breathed out as he engulfed his wife in a rather tired hug. Elyana hugged him back eagerly, then he kissed her forehead. "Where are you headed?" Aemond asked quietly whilst Elyana sighed and looked at the kids.

"We're taking them to see your mother before they are put to bed." Elyana answered, earning a nod back from him. "I'll join you." Aemond stated but Elyana could see just how tired he was in the look in his eye.

"No my love, it is fine. Go take a calming bath and I will be there so shortly, okay?" Elyana said with a smile, whilst Aemond nodded and rubbed his temple. "Where is Conrad?" Aemond asked as he looked around the corridor.

"I gave him today off, since I've been all day with Hel and all of her guards." Elyana said nonchalantly, making Aemond frown. "I do not like that, Elyana. We do not pay him to frolick around the castle." Aemond sighed but them looked to Helaena's guard and calmed down.

"Be quick, alright?" He asked with a smile before bending to Jaehaera's height and putting his hand up for her to high five. "Isn't your auntie the prettiest one?" Aemond asked with a chuckle as he looked to his niece lovingly. Jaehaera clapped her hands and engulfed Aemond's leg in a tight hug, causing him to chuckle.

After Aemond disappeared down the hallway, the girls and the children kept on making their way to Alicent's chambers. They got there rather quickly, and Helaena was the first one in, "Mother, I've brough the children." Helaena would announce as they all entered the dimly lit room, only for cries and gags to be heard. Elyana gasped when she spotted the Queen Mother, bound and gagged by the corner of the room. Helaena shrieked, whilst Alicent's teary eyes were darting wildly across the room trying to tell them something. Suddenly Helaena's guard fell to the floor. He had been stabbed in the back by an unknown force.