67//Grimes (R)

Surprise babes. This is a longer one.

Things were fine.

And then they suddenly weren't.

The beginning of the apocalypse is not how it is in the movies. Well, maybe a bit.

It's slow. First, hearing cases on the news of a new virus discovered. Then, the first person getting it in a different country. Within 2 weeks, 1,000 confirmed cases. But of course the news is always dramatic, while what they were saying was alarming, you were sure there was nothing to actually worry about.

Until a global health emergency was declared. Everything shut down, people fled from cities, but where would they go? Bombs were being dropped on all major areas, all around the world. Then one day all the tv signals went out. The world seemed to go quiet.

You and your roommates holed up in your apartment for a while, until food became scarce. The four of you took turns going in groups of two to explore the now vacant area you once called home.

You all became quite handy with a knife, having nothing better to do then practice day and night, but no one besides you had actually ever killed a walker, or even got close to. They were scared and weak, and you knew it would be your downfall.

Eventually your home became overrun. By people? Walkers? Both? You weren't sure. But you all fled, one roommate getting separated and the other two dying in the process. You almost died too trying to save them.

Like you said, your downfall.

That day, you vowed to yourself that you would never care for anyone ever again. Caring about people is how you get killed in this world.

Two years later and you've successfully kept your vow. You've come across a handful of people over the years, some who seemed nice, and others who didn't. But regardless of their intentions, you didn't care to join.

You were always on the move, only stopping some nights to sleep when you thought it was safe. You hadn't eaten or slept in days, and you were so close to giving up.

"Uhm excuse me? My names Aaron. I'm with a community not far from here, Alexandria. Do you want some food? I have some."

You immediately turn and draw your gun, that only has 1 bullet left, and clutch the knife at your side with the other hand. You see a man with his arms up defensively. He seemed clean.

"How long have you been out here? When was the last time you've eaten? We have food, water, homes, a community." The man repeats himself slowly as you keep your gun drawn. "Not a talker, got it. I'm gonna reach into my pack and get a water and sandwich. I also have pictures to show you it's a real place." He slowly takes his backpack off and pulls out all the things. Your mouth waters at the sandwich as he holds it out for you.

You finally lower your gun and slowly take it. What's the worst that could happen? You were close to giving up anyway, so in your mind there wasn't much to lose. If they killed you then so be it.

"I'm (y/n). Not sure how long I've been out here... 2 years maybe? Honestly I don't even really know what state I'm in."

"Virginia. You're in Virginia." He smiles.

Wow. Virginia. You're from Texas.

A few weeks later you're starting to settle into this so called community, but you're definitely still on high alert. You haven't really talked to anyone, which is how you wanted it.

A man named Rick came and introduced himself when you first arrived, supposedly he's in charge here. You were short with him, but he understood. He reassured you you're safe here.