Chapter Thirteen

The air was thick around you and the air smelled of blood. You make your way towards the house and over to Gaz and Soap.

"That was badass Reaper" Gaz tells you as he gives you a fist bump.

"Soap, are you going to be okay?" you ask.

"Yes" he grunts as he stands up. Your eyes check over him quickly to make sure he wasn't bleeding from anywhere. "Fucking Shadows" he mumbles. Gaz limps over to Soap.

"Gaz, you good?" you ask him.

"Yeah, fucking sprained ankle" he says.

You walk over to him to wrap your arm around his back while his arm wraps around your neck to support him. He puts most of his weight on you and you help him get out of the house. Soap tags behind you both.

You all step outside the front of the house where you and Ghost came in from. Ghost was going through crates that they were loading into the back of the Jeeps. He refrains from looking at you, but your eyes pierced at him. If it weren't for you, who knows how long you all would be there, alive.

You help Gaz to one of the crates and help him sit down. Soap takes a seat next to Gaz and props his head against the other crates behind him. You turn and start walking back to the house.

"Where you going?" Soap yells out.

"I'll be back" you reply while steady walking. You could feel daggers pierce through the back of your skull. You stepped back into the house and make your way to the back where your victory took place. You searched the bodies of all twelve men and only found one phone. It was on one of The Shadow who was helping load up the RPG. You grab the phone and head back to the front where the rest of the guys were.

As you walk through the front door and onto the grass, Ghost is walking towards you with anger. You don't stop, you kept the same energy. He gets to you, reaches out and grabs you by your vest, pulling you into him.

"Don't you ever fucking ignore my orders again, sergeant!" he demands.

You push him off you and he stumbles back, "Like how you ignored me, lieutenant?" you reply with a devilish grin on your face.

He glares at you with soulless eyes and charges at you. Before you could move, he grabs you by your throat and slams you against the house. A breathy moan escaped your lips as your hands fly up to his thick arm.

"Boss" you hear Soap say as he stands up.

"Stand down!" Ghost yells as he turns his head a little to see Soap. You eyed Soap and watch him slowly sit back down.

Ghost turns back to you, his face inches away from your bloody one. Your head becoming tight from lack of oxygen. He leans in even closer and gets to your ear, "Don't tempt me" he warned as he squeezed your throat tighter.

"Or...what?" you barely whisper out. You were pressing your luck. Your head felt like it was about to explode. Your eyes started to roll in the back of your head and Ghost releases you from his grip and you fall to the ground gasping for air. Ghost looks down at you for a second before turning and walking away.

"Fuckin' Brits" you mumble out as you stand up.

Ghost stops dead in his tracks and turns back towards you. Gaz and Soaps eyes were wide.

"The fuck did you just say?" he asked sternly.

You chuckle, "I said, fuckin' Brits." You watched as his hands balled into fists at his side. "You're welcome by the way. We'd still be in there if I wouldn't have taken the initiative!" you end with a scream.

"Me?! Because of you, we don't know where the fuck we are going because you decided to have a fucking bloodbath!" he roars approaching you, fist still clenched.

You reach into your pocket and pull out a phone. Ghost stops, looks at you and then the phone. "Because of me and my fucking bloodbath, I have the bastard's phone with all information leading to Michael and anyone else" you tell him arrogantly as you step towards him. You take the phone and shove it into a pocket on his vest forcefully. "You're fucking welcome" you tell him in a dark tone as you walk away.

You can feel the rage off him as you walk away. Silence was in the air until Price spoke, "You all take one of the Jeeps and meet me back at the air strip."

"Yes sir" Ghost replies with gritted teeth.

You look up and watch the plane fly off and stand there for a few minutes to try and shake off some tension. You walk over to Gaz to help him up and get into the Jeep. Ghost jumps in the driver seat, Soap rides shotgun. Gaz sits behind Soap, and you were left with sitting behind Ghost. You felt like Soap and Gaz did this shit deliberately.

The ride back to the air strip felt like it would never end. You kept seeing Ghost eye you in the rear-view mirror out the corner of your eye. You didn't look back. You kept your attention looking out the window on this bumpy ass ride.

Once you all pull up to the air strip, Price is standing on the ramp at the back of the plane. He has a shit grin on his face and is smoking a cigar.

You go over and help Gaz out the Jeep and make both of your ways into the plane.

"Goddamn Reaper" he says to you grinning from ear to ear. "That was fucking impressive, but what do you have against Brits?" he asked rhetorically, but with humor in his voice. You look back at Ghost and then to Price to give him your answer. He lets out a hearty laugh, throws out his cigar and follows behind you.

You set Gaz down on the floor of the aircraft and prop him up against the wall to the side of the plane. He leans his head back against the wall, "We made it" he said exhausted. You snort and tell him yeah. You walked towards the doors to the cockpit and made yourself comfortable there. You wanted to be away from everyone. Everyone boards the plane. The pilot came over the speakers and told us that we were preparing for takeoff. A few moments later, the engines roared up and everyone was soaring in the sky.

You lean your head back against the wall of the plane and try to get some sleep. The plane was quiet, and you assumed everyone else was asleep after the fucking day you all had. You were just about dozed off until you heard Price and your ears perked up.

"She likes you" Price says really low.

"She doesn't listen" Ghost responds.

"She keeps you on your toes and I can see the look in your eyes, you enjoy it. You keep her in line" Price resumes. "I see the way you two look at each other."

Ghost scoffs.

"You can lie to yourself Simon, but I know." That was the last thing anyone said for the remaining flight back home. You sat in the dark away from everyone with a smile on your face. Yes, Ghost got on your ever-loving nerves, but deep down you enjoyed the way he handled you. The way his touch felt. The way he put you in your place and the way his eyes pierced into the windows of your soul. It grounded you. It was something you needed.

You sit there for a few more minutes as your eyes became heavy and sleep took you.