Chapter Forty

**Ghost's POV**

I swear it felt like my heart had stopped. My breathing sure as fuck did. Her green pools stared into mine and in that moment, nothing could separate us. It was like our eyes connecting were a string connected to one another, but when she broke the contact, the string was cut in half, and it all went down hill from there.

I had to remain calm, but dammit if I didn't want to kill everyone else that wasn't her or Nik and bring her home. I couldn't jeopardize her life or mine.

"Is this to your liking," I heard Michael's voice through the speaker in my room. My body stiffens from the high pitch in his voice – indicating that he wasn't don't talking. "Mr. Riley."

Fuck.

Everything in me stops as the color drains from my face. The air around me was a heavy fog as time stood still. I didn't even move or flinch when the door to my room was kicked in and three guards came in – two of Michaels and Nik. Two of Michaels guards stood behind me, one of each side, while Nik stood to my right against the wall – all had their guns pointed to me.

My eyes are still focused on Harley as I see her start to shake her head and tears spill down her face. I try to speak and reassure her, but nothing comes out. I cant fucking speak, but everything inside me is screaming.

"I'm a lot smarter than I look Simon Riley." Hearing Michael say my name caused me to ball my fists by my side. There were only two people who were granted to say my name casually – Price and Harley – everyone else suffered. "It took some digging to find you, but I managed. And then, you come here under an alias with an exposed face," he continues to taunt me but shifts his gaze to Harley. "Now that's love. He did all of that for you." I wanted to slit his fucking throat at his words. He was right, I'd do anything for her but the way he said it didn't sit right with me.

"See, everyone thinks that love stories end with Happily Ever After, but in my book, there is no such thing." I watch as Michael nods his head to someone in my room and before I could even think, my ears were ringing and wall in front of me to my right was repainted in red. Nik's lifeless body slid down the wall slowly leaving a trail of blood the was seeping out of his head. I shut my eyes harshly as I try to fight back the tears.

"Nik come in, how copy?" I hear Price through my earpiece. "Nik come in."

Silence.

"Ghost, can you hear me?" Price asked me. I couldn't respond. I couldn't even hum. I couldn't do anything. "Ghost come in. Is everything okay?"

"Thought you would try to be slick with one of your guys, huh?" He taunts me rhetorically. "An eye for an eye, yeah? You try to play me, and I played you. Checkmate." Oh, it was checkmate when I get my goddamn hands around his neck. I was seething. My chest is heaving up and down.

"What do you want from me?!" I yell out at him. I couldn't hide it any longer. I was worried. Kill me if you must, but please spare her. Spare our child.

Michael looked up at me with a shit eating grin, "I want you to sit back and enjoy the show." Harley jerks her head to Michael and furrows her eyebrows in confusion. I jerk my head back slightly confused wondering what in the hell he meant by that.

A tall figure caught my eye as my eyes shifted from Harley to...König. "No," I whispered out under my breath to where only I could hear it. My eyes darted from König to Harley and then back and forth between the two.