Ch 1

Guts walked through an open field as it rained down on him

Guts walked through an open field as it rained down on him. He hugged his hood close so the wind didn't blow it off. Merlin sat down, leaning against his neck as he walked through the rain. They've done nothing but walking for the whole day, well Guts has. The swordsman looked behind him and saw a carriage approaching him, an old man in the driver seat with a white beard, and beige robes with a symbol of the cross sewn in.

"Need a ride?" The old man asked as he looked down at Guts, noticing the giant handle sticking out of the cloak. "The rain is pretty heavy."

"Nope." Guts spoke out, surprising the old man. Guts walked forward without a second thought. "Leave me be."

"I assure you, it's no trouble at all." The old man told him as he watched Guts stop in place. "Thou shall love thy neighbor as thou loves thyself. It's one of the commandments from god himself! So I can't just let someone walk through this storm without doing anything."

"......sorry, I'm not good with priests." Guts sighed. Only experience he had with priests were during post-battles. It was probably how nice and polite priests can be.....it was sickening.

"HAHA, please boy. I won't try to convert you." The priest chuckled. Guts remained unmoving as the priest chuckled. "But surely, spending a little time with a priest is better than catching a cold, yes?"

".........look, I'm telling you this for your own good." Guts turned his head back, looking at the priest in the corner of his eye as the rain fell heavily. "I'm being pursued by a legion of dead spirits......you'd do best to leave me alone."

"HAHAHAHA! That's quite the affliction good sir!" The priest laughed, believing it to be a good joke. Guts frowned as he turned to face the priest. "But do not fear, I have God on my side."

"Come on Guts!" Merlin shouted as she flew out of Guts's hood, making the priest gasp. Merlin flew over too the priest, landing on his head before looking into the carriage, spotting a young thirteen year old blonde girl wearing a dress, standing there with a smile. "We've deserve a rest rather than being soaked, don't ya think?"

"My goodness!" The priest exclaimed, a smile on his face as he saw and felt Merlin upon his head. He looked down at Guts with an even bigger smile that radiated kindness. "How could evil spirits be drawn to you when you have such a holy creature with you? C'mon get in, get in, with god and this creature, surely we'll be able too Ward off the spirits!"

"She's anything but holy....." Guts stated, making Merlin frown at him as she pouted. The young girl smiled down at Guts as she picked up Merlin, the fairy smiling as she was lifted up. Guts looked at the forest ahead of them, seeing dim red dots in the dark forest. He held his brand, debated on the matter, before turning back towards the carriage. ".....fine."