Ch 18

"Make yourself at home."

"Oh.....thank you." Jill spoke as Rosine set her down at the base of a tree before flying over and sitting down on a big root overlooking the girl. All around them was the most beautifulest forest Jill has ever seen, daisies and roses sprouting from every corner as fairies flew around giggling to one another, the scenery looking majestic and unreal as the sun began to set. Some fairies came down and placed some berries in her hand before another group of fairies placed a crown made of flowers on her head. "This is very nice of you......"

"So do you like the misty valley?" Rosine asked as she hopped off the root and landed beside Jill. The girl looked down at the berries in her hand, avoiding the question. Rosine only smiled and hugged her close. "It's truly a paradise! The flowers are always in bloom, trees are always filled with fruit, and it never gets cold even in winter! You'll never be cold or hungry......not like how we were in the village." Rosine smiled as she hugged the girl closer. "Bad grown ups are never allowed here. If I'd known the Misty Valley was like this.....I would have brought you here sooner."

"........I......" Jill struggled to speak as she looked at Rosine's happy expression. "...I don't know......."

"That's perfectly fine Jill. Just spend tonight thinking it over. But I'll ask you this: was there anything in the village, anything more fun........than flying?" Rosine asked the girl before standing up. Jill looked up at her, the demonic fairy simply smiling before walking away. "I'll leave you be for now, I want your honest answer without pressuring you."

.
.
.
.
.

Jill sat by a nearby pond, watching the fairies play with one another. Despite the happy atmosphere, she was still uncertain of how to answer Rosine's question. The sun had almost disappeared behind the mountains, and the light was beginning to fade.

'Become a fairy............' Jill thought to herself. She looked down at the pond water, looking at her reflection. This was an offer that was never offered to anyone.....it made her feel special. 'It.....doesn't look that bad.....the fairies seem to be enjoying themselves.' A little voice in the back of her head told her no, these aren't real fairies, they're children who were kidnapped and turned into these creatures that eat humans. They didn't get a choice, so she should just go back home and......and.....what?

'But wolves eat people too.......to survive.' She tried reasoning with herself. She remembered seeing the poor souls who couldn't get to safety when the fairies attacked, nothing left except some bones and intestines. 'And they look so happy......I won't have to worry about being cold or hungry ever again. Nothing looks more enjoyable.......than being one of those fairies.'

She frowned as memories flooded her mind. Of how her father's friends would......would........it pained her to remember every minute of it. Her father's friends, smiling down at her as they grabbed her throat and licked her cheek. It was sickening.......truly sickening. But her mother is worried sick, the voice in her head argued.

'Right......maybe I'll turn out like my mother if I choose to stay normal.....' Jill thought as she looked up at the darkening sky. 'Unable to become angry, no matter what happens. Even if her own child is beaten, made to cry and become tiny. Maybe that's how I'll end up.......or maybe I'll become exactly like my father? Abusing my own child whenever I'm in the mood.....no, I'd never........I mean, I......I'm their daughter.....'

"CHARGE!"

Jill's attention turned to the field to her right. The fairies were laughing and cheering as two groups formed on opposite sides of each other. Some road on the backs of dragon flies, using them like horses. In their tiny arms were caps of acorns and twigs that varied in size. Some of the fairies even carried some drums and played them with joy.