Ch 12

"This is my village."

Jill spoke as they made their way through the run down village

Jill spoke as they made their way through the run down village. Guts looked around in curiosity, the village wasn't lively at all. The buildings were cracked, everyone kept to themselves and the streets were barley even filled with people. A tumbleweed blew across the cobblestone street as they passed a water fountain, leaves in the water infested with algae. Merlin was kept hidden away in the satchel, a warning from Jill. Guts watched as Jill went over to a building and knocked on the wooden door three times.

"J-Jill?" The young girl took a step back as the door opened. A woman stood there wearing a dress with an apron over it. She bore striking resemblance with Jill, same eye color and hair. It was her mother. The mother took a step forward, grabbing her daughter's shoulders with a worried look. "Where have you been all night?! At a time like this...do you even know how worried I was?!"

"Huh, Jill?" Guts watched as three men came out of the house. They wore fine clothes, fine as a peasant could get, the leading one wearing a small helmet on top of his head lacking the faceplate as the chin straps dangled on either side. In his hand was a bottle of whiskey and a cane in the other, Guts was able to tell from the smell coming off the man. "Huh.....Jill. Runnin' out like that all of a sudden....where the hell have you been wandering all night?"

"S.....so what?" Jill spoke, pointing a finger at the man, her father if Guts had to guess. She looked at the helmet upon his head, frowning. "You still look like a fool wearing that thing....."

"Ye stupid runt!" The drunk father spoke as he took a wobbly step forward, ignoring his wife who tried stopping him. "Me and muh war buddies here.....was just reminishin' 'bout the glory of da battlefield!"

"Hi Jill......" The two men behind the father smiled oddly at the girl, waving at her. Guts noticed Jill's body stiffen before she looked at the ground, sweat rolling down her forehead. "......sorry about last night."

"That bein' shad......" The father slurred his words as he turned around, ready to head back inside. "Go out and buy shome booze."

"You're going to keep drinking?!" Jill shouted towards her father, making the man stop.

"Jill, stop." The mother whispered as she knelt down to her daughter. Jill shook her mom's hands off her shoulder and stepped forward. "Please!"

"ENOUGH ALREADY!!" Jill shouted as she ignored her mother's pleas. She took two steps forward as her father stopped in his tracks. "Day after day you babble on about some old battle you lost against Artoria's army! Why don't you think about us for a—!"

WHACK!