Ch 13

Guts groaned as sunlight shined in through the holes in the mill. He blinked his eye open before looking forward. The homunculus the Fae sent after him laid in pieces, arms, torsos, legs, and heads severed due to the DragonSlayer. Their blue blood painted the walls and the ground along with their shattered weapons.

Guts sighed. No matter how many homunculus he kills, the Fae will only make more and keep sending them after him. They would probably capture him, interrogate him for knowledge of Excalibur's location, before killing him. And if he did tell them of Excalibur's location, they would probably torture him for a century or two. The only part of Excalibur that Guts had was the sheath, but Scáthach took that and hid it somewhere. He sighed before looking down, eye widened in surprise.

'Jill

'Jill......' He recognized her. She had brought back his cloak, but how did she......Guts sighed. She must have heard the commotion he started with the Homunculus in the middle of the night. What made him stiffen up was the fact she was touching him. She peacefully snoozed away, hugging his leg like it was a comfy pillow. He bared his teeth before turning away, calming down. He didn't need to see Merlin to know she was sleeping in the crook of his neck. 'Alright......wake up time.'

"Huh?" Jill yawned before her head hit the stone floor. Her eyes snapped open, watching as Guts stood up. The swordsman looked down at her, making the young girl blush as she looked away. "G-good morning.......sorry for......sleeping on you Mister Swordsman."

"Tell me......about these misty valley fairies." Jill tilted her head as Guts began to speak. He sheathed DragonSlayer onto his back before putting his cloak on. He reached up and tapped Merlin's head, making the fairy wake up from her snoring. "Your village wanted to kill my pet. Why?"

"T-the valley is east of this village, over three mountains. For some strange reason, a mist hangs there all year round...so everyone calls it the Misty Valley." Jill spoke as she got onto her knees, patting her dress down. She spotted the corpses of the Homunculus, yet did not show any fear, assuming they were one of the many monsters he faced. She reached over to her bag and pulled out three rolls of bread. She tossed one to Guts, the swordsman inspecting it before taking a small bite. Merlin flew up towards the bread Guts bit down on, taking a bite out of it before flying down to Jill's bag. The girl giggled as the fairy chomped away. "There's a legend saying fairies lived there for a long time."

"Hm........Merlin?" Guts glanced down at the fairy.

"Even if fairies lived nearby, they'd never do anything to harm or offend someone." Merlin said as she sticked her head out of the basket, swallowing the food in her mouth. "Let me, Merlin the great, the mage of flowers, tell you about fairies."