Ch 8

"I'm sorry."

"About what?" Merlin hummed as she sat on Theresa's shoulder. The girl had calmed down after the emotional confession she made. The fairy was sure to absorb the information Theresa had said, Merlin could understand why the Count was the way he his. What she didn't understand is how he became a monster. 'Probably something to do with that Beheilt.' Merlin frowned. Each time she thought of the thing her worry for Artoria grew. "If it's for you crying earlier it's totally fine. Everyone cries, especially if something like that happened to their mother."

"Tell me, Merlin was it?" The mage of flowers nodded. Theresa giggled before looking at the night sky. "Merlin, what is it like to fly?"

".....eh, it's always been normal for me." Merlin told her as she began to fly around before landing across from Theresa on the window seat. "The wings are still new so they get tired pretty easily. But it's similar to how birds or butterflies fly." Merlin looked up at Theresa, noticing she was still looking at the sky with a smile. The fairy looked back at the room before feeling her eyes widen. "Have you......been in here your entire life?"

".......Father doesn't let me leave this room. He thinks there are still heretics lurking down in the city, even now. He won't let anyone from the city or even remotely connected to the city near me." Theresa sighed as she looked down at the city below. This was the world she lived in, confined to her room because her father was too scared of losing her. Theresa's attention turned down to the castle walls below her, noticing some guards running about with their weapons drawn. "What's going on?"

"WHAT IS IT?!" Merlin and Theresa heard a guard question the other. The other guard responded, informing his comrade. "ITS A BURGLAR! AN INTRUDER IN THE INNER COMPOUND!!!!"

'......Guts?!' Merlin realized. Guts was in this castle, most likely killing anyone in his path, just to reach the Count. The fairy turned to Theresa, a concerned look on her face. "I'm sorry Theresa, but I gotta go. I know that burglar they were talking about and I can't let them be the one's to due him in."

"You wish to kill him?"

"What, no!" Merlin chuckled. "He broke my arm earlier today. If I save him, I'm going to hold this over him for the rest of his life."

Theresa slowly nodded before pushing the window open. Merlin flew out and the seven year old watched in awe as a pink dot of light flew through the sky. The girl slowly began to close the window again before yelping as Merlin appeared again.

"Don't worry Theresa.....after this you will be free.....I promise." Merlin smiled before flying off. Theresa smiled, stars in her eyes.

She'd finally be free!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"GAAAA!!!!!!!!!"

Dahl cried out as Guts kicked him through the throne room's doors. The small priest was bleeding from his nose, eyes, and mouth. He hit the stone floor with a painful crack. Dahl looked up and saw Guts walking into the room, DragonSlayer resting on his right shoulder.

The throne room was different than any other throne room, although he only ever saw one. It was more like a catacombs, stone pillars everywhere that held up the stone ceiling, torches on the pillars. No windows that let the sunlight in.