Ch 17

"You can fly all you want! To your hearts content Jill. That is.......if you become one of us."

"Me.....?" Jill snapped out of her train of thought and looked up at Rosine. They had been flying for quite some time, her village becoming nothing but a spec in the distance as they flew up the mountains. "I.......I c-couldn't."

"Why not?" Rosine questioned as she looked down at Jill. She could feel the little girl become stiff as she looked away. The apostle's red eyes widened with curiosity. "Jill..........do you have a thing for that man? The one called the Black Swordsman?"

"Wh-no, nothing like that!" Jill denied, a blush on her face as she looked down at the mountains. Sure, he saved her. And she knew he could be quite gentle if need be. It wasn't a crush........it wasn't! Hoping to change the topic, Jill said the first thing that came to mind. "It looks like he was heading towards the Mistey Valley when we left......"

"Hm, well don't worry Jill. The valley is guarded by dependable grown ups!" Rosine spoke as the flew through a cloud. Jill looked back up at her with a raised eyebrow. "They would never hurt children and they protect us with their very lives from all who would wish us harm. They're real grown ups. The Forest Guardians, you could say."

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

'The mist is everywhere now.'

Guts thought to himself as he followed Merlin's directions. It was the evening and yet mist had appeared out of thin air, no wonder why it's called the misty valley. The sting of pain emitting from his brand told him that he was indeed close. Merlin could never disappoint.

"What's that?" Merlin asked, making Guts come to a stop. In front of them was a pile of corpses, all adult men and women piled up and were as big as a boulder. All of them were naked. Merlin yelped as a small head popped out of the pile. "Heh....Guts, tag in!"

"Hehehehe......we meet again." The body spoke as it made its way out of the pile. It was Dig, the one that wanted to have Jill's intestines wrapped around a tree. Guts put Merlin into his satchel, making sure it was secure as three more bodies came out of the pile. All four of the bandits that had kidnapped Jill were present, almost as if they weren't crushed by the possessed tree. "Don't say.....you forgot about us."

"You can't pass! Anyone who would hurt the children....." The old bandit leader spoke as blood ran down his body, smelling like a corpse. "Anyone who would hurt the children.....we won't let any of 'em pass!"

"Heh, from bandits to babysitters." Guts chuckled, unfazed by the resurrected bandits. "And from humans to something else, by the look of it."

"NYA!!!!!" Dig shouted as he and another jumped towards the swordsman, using their arms and legs like dogs. Guts reached into his cloak and threw his throwing knives at the two, hitting both of them square in the face, but they did not falter. Guts lifted his prosthetic and began firing a load of arrows at the two, halting them in their tracks as they fell onto their backs. Just as Guts lowered his prosthetic his eye widened as Dig began to transform, the swordsman quickly taking out DragonSlayer and bringing it down on the monster.

Dig looked like a Scorpion, using the pincers on his tail to stop the DragonSlayer and wrap around the blade, keeping a hold on it. Guts bared his teeth before looking to his side, the other bandit had transformed into a millipede like monster, jumping towards Guts in orders to kill him. The swordsman growled, quickly swinging his blade, taking Dig off the ground, and cleaving the centipede monster in half letting it's upper body hit the ground. Dig's eyes widened as the Swordsman had switched the position of his blade, bringing it down onto a nearby rock, cleaving both Dig and the rock in half. Guts dashed over to the centipede's head, crushing it under his boot before it could escape.