Ch 15

"This is far enough."

"Huh?" Jill took a sharp breath as Guts let her go. She watched as the swordsman sheathed his knife, walking forward before pointing towards the village. Jill looked back, now realizing that the village was ten miles away. They stood upon a hill that was leading into a forest.

"Go home......your mother is probably worried sick." Guts spoke before he began walking away. Merlin rested on his shoulder and waved at Jill as they left.

"Your going to the misty valley.......aren't you?" Jill asked, making the swordsman come to halt. The girl gulped as she began to shake, clenching her fists. "I.......I want to go to as well."

"Jill......" Merlin hummed out to the girl. "You don't want to be there......he's going to—"

"That girl.....the big fairy...." Jill continued on as she looked at the swordsman back. She really hoped he would listen. "She might be my friend who vanished years ago.......maybe she will—?!"

"What? Maybe she will what?" Guts growled, turning around to face the girl. Jill took a step back as the swordsman got closer, placing a hand on her head as he glared at her. "She's not human anymore. She became an enemy of mankind the day she gave up her humanity. She might have been your friend once, but not now. She'll never be the person you trusted the most.......so just forget about her, alright? You'll sleep easier believing she's nothing but a sack of shit......I'm going to kill her, understand?"

"G....." Merlin went to speak but stopped herself, remembering what she saw in the bubble of time. Guts's hatred for the apostles, and anything of the supernatural was completely justified from his experiences. The swordsmen let go of the girl and turned around before walking into the forest. "Bye Jill. It was nice meeting you........just know he's doing this for everyone's benefit."

A lie......Guts just wanted blood, blood of an Apostle for his selfish desires.

'Is this it.......the end?' Jill thought to herself as she watched the swordsman leave, not even glancing back at her. She looked back at the village in the distance. 'Nothing is going to change......even if papa is........his friends will just........'

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Finally asleep."

Guts sighed as he sat in front of a fire he made. Night had fallen and Guts had set up camp against a hillside, leaning against the rock wall behind him. In his hand was Merlin, sound asleep as she snored away. The tiny body of her's required lots of energy to remain active and can easily tire out.

Guts opened the satchel on his side. In the leather pouch was a small makeshift bed, feathers making up the mattress, a wad of string acting as a pillow, and a rag that could be used as a blanket. He gently placed the sleeping mage into the satchel and covered her with the rag. The pouch was safe for the fairy to sleep in, even during the night. Merlin would do her best to stay awake and act as his eyes in the sky, but she couldn't go without sleep every now and then. He closed the satchel and sighed.

"Even with my wound healed, I lost too much blood." Guts told himself as he pulled out a dead snake from behind him. It was a black snake, not poisonous to eat. Merlin ate all the squirrel meat so Guts had to get himself something. He cut the head off with his knife before skinning the dead snake. After taking of its scales/skin, he bit down on the snake, chewing the meat before biting down again. He soon finished the small dinner he had, the second meal of his day.