Ch 36

"I must apologize for Bluebeard's behavior the other day."

Jeanne sat across from Queen Morgan in the ruler's office. The queen's two knights and the man known simply as Bluebeard were no where to be spotted, leaving Morgan with Jeanne in private. Upon the desk was a game board called Chess, which Morgan insisted on playing with the holy maiden. Jeanne was rather good at the game, but it seems she met her match in the form of Morgan Le Fay. The Queen had sacrificed all her pawns, rooks, bishops, and one knight. The only piece Jeanne had left on the board was the king.

"It's quite alright you're majesty

"It's quite alright you're majesty." Jeanne chuckled as she looked down at the board. She use to be so good at the game, then again it's been nearly two years since she last played, her hunt for the Black swordsman had left her little time for small pleasures, because she was busy burying the dead bodies left behind and giving them funeral rights before continuing her hunt. "I just didn't expect him to know me, or call me his virgin."

"Hm....." Morgan hummed as Jeanne took her king and eliminated the Knight piece on the board. The Queen smiled as the virgin across from her returned the smile. "Yes, forgive his behavior. Bluebeard has been in my service for roughly a year and when he heard you were working with me was when he told me how much of a fan he was of you. Hm, he's even been performing his own miracles, helping me slow down the plague as much as possible."

"Huh, interesting." Jeanne hummed as she took a sip of tea sitting on the desk. The Queen was very skilled in making tea and was kind enough to offer a cup at the beginning of the match. Jeanne scratched her head and looked away with a small blush. "It's not really common for a man to admire a woman like me. Even back home in Orleans I had trouble with the men."

"Hm.....Men.......I've suffered problems somewhat similar to your own when I took power." Morgan hummed as her Queen moved forward on it's own before knocking over the king, sealing her victory over Jeanne. "The said a woman couldn't rule a kingdom by herself, and I never claimed I wanted to. Unlike my traitorous sister Artoria, I've done no such dishonorable acts to ensure my rule, much less hide my identity as a woman."

"So you plan to marry?" Jeanne asked. She knew the rebellion that Artoria led against Vortigern, hell everyone did. The rebellion led by a woman king was quite a legend, even if it had a dark end with all of Artoria's conspiracies revealed to the public and her private execution dealt out by King Leondegrance, a friend of Uther Pendragon. "If I may ask, is it one of the nearby nobles? Or is it one of the lesser kings who serve you?"

"......I think he's still a noble." Morgan spoke as she reached over and picked up the black king piece she had knocked over. She smiled down at the piece, almost as if she was reliving a fond memory. "We've known each other for a pretty long time. First time we met, he showed up at my door step injured. I healed him and we became fast friends.....something I never really had before." Jeanne watched as the Queen gave a small laugh and looked back up at the holy maiden, grip still on the king piece. "He was a taste of fresh air, unlike my husband. Where the old man saw a beautiful wife that had fame to her name, my friend didn't see me like that. He was kind, caring, and rather blunt when he spoke. The complete opposite of me and I loved it."