Ch 21

'Why did I miss?!'

Guts thought to himself after he hit the ground, his chest plate absorbing the damage. Blood leaked from his wounds and mouth as he pushed himself up and looked around. Rosine had fallen a good distance away from him, the apostle roaring as her intestines hanged out, but she was far from dead. He looked forward and saw DragonSlayer embedded in the ground. The swordsman began to crawl forward, crawling through the corpses of dead children as he remained hidden from the Apostle. He grabbed DragonSlayer and dragged it behind a tree that still stood.

'Damnit, what a waste! I'm going to be jumping into my own grave at this point! I already blown three chances to kill her!!!' Guts berated himself as he noticed his hand began to shake, unable to keep a grip on DragonSlayer's handle. He reached into his satchel and retrieved a roll of bandages. Griping DragonSlayer once more, Guts used his teeth to wrap the bandages around his hand and the weapons handle tightly, ensuring that he couldn't let go. He ducked his head just in time as the tree behind him fell over, leaving only a stump that provided him with cover. Looking over the stump, he could see Rosine roaring as she lashed out blindingly with her antenna acting like a whip. 'Am I going to easy on her because of that fucking story Jill told me?! Or is it her appearance?! No.....block it out. I'll take my urge to kill and nothing else!'

'But how do I get close enough?' Guts pondered as he watched the antenna cut through more trees and acted like a bladed whip. 'Hell, even if I get close enough I'm out of gun powder......'

"AAAAHHHH!!!!!!"

Guts's attention turned to the side. In the distance was Jill and Merlin, surrounded by flames. They both coughed as the smoke started to fill their lungs, Merlin suffering the most due to her small body. His eye widened, the instinct to save Merlin kicking in before he stopped himself. Slowly, he looked back at Rosine, who had spotted Jill as well, a look of concern on the apostles face. His eye narrowed and smiled as the apostle moved towards the little girl.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"Cover your nose Jill! Don't breath in the smoke!"

Jill followed Merlin's orders, cupping her mouth and nose to seal off the smoke. The fairy cursed herself, she shouldn't have let Jill stay. She had one job and that was to get Jill to safety! The fairy could hardly see with all the smoke in her face, her eyes burning. Merlin looked around multiple times, hoping to see a way out of here before spotting one of Rosine's cocoons above them. Flying down to the ground, Merlin retrieved one of the sharp twigs Jill saw the fairies playing with earlier.

"Listen, I'm going to pop the cocoon." Merlin spoke as she flew back up, unaware of Jill's horrified gaze. "It'll put out the flames around us and let us go through an exi—!"

"NO!" Jill cried out, staring at Merlin. The fairy stopped and looked down at the child before yelling as the child grabbed her like a doll. "PLEASE DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!"

"Grr, damnit girl!" Merlin responded with more anger than necessary, breaking out of Jill's hold before kicking her nose. "Stupid girl, don't you see we need to escape?! I'm risking by tiny fairy ass to save you ya'know?!"

"Stupid......." Jill spoke, her voice softening to a small meek that could barley be heard through the roaring flames. Merlin tilted her head, watching as tears formed in Jill's eyes as the little girl fell to her knees and began to cry. "Your right, your right, your right! I AM A STUPID LITTLE GIRL, JUST LIKE PAPA USE TO SAY! IF I DIDN'T COME HERE WE WOULDN'T BE TRAPPED LIKE THIS! IM SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!"