Amazed.

Today was the first day of Ramadan for Muslims across the world. And, most people think that Ramadan means that you fast from sunrise to sunset, big whoop. But, it's so much more than that. It's a month of realizing that there are people who are less fortunate than you. Fasting means giving yourself the experience of hunger to understand how it feels to not have enough food in your stomach. And although I am not Muslim, I admire all Muslims who are taking this holy month to think of others. Thank you.

So, here's my story. I very briefly met a homeless man at the library who was on his way to a job interview, trying to change his life. At the same time, he was sitting with another homeless man, and helping to change his as well.

I hope you all realize that helping others is one of the BEST feelings in the world, and it's my absolute favorite thing to do. Anyway, into the poem, this turned out much longer than expected. :)

~~~

The man lies cold, on the side of the street. It's the middle of summer, but the breeze can chill a man to the bone when his bones are already cold.

He lies without a blanket, just a ratted old jacket. The breeze that feels nice to rest of us, coming from an open window when you turn the air conditioning off, that same breeze is torture.

The man's been homeless since his teens, way down south in Georgia. He's sold, he's gambled, he's smoke, snorted, injected, as him what he's done. He says he's done most everything.

He is a black man. He said it straight out like that, he's a black man, and he's proud. He's proud because of the achievements of his race, not the superiority.

He's proud to call himself a black man because African Americans have helped to change this world we live in. American society can be cold and heartless, but he and so many others have tried their best to give the warmth of their hearts to others.

He's 31. He's been homeless since his teens. It seems as if, he's given in. He's given up.

He didn't give in. He didn't give up. He's giving it his all.

He's helping the rest of the homeless population. He's proven it to me today.

He's talking to another homeless man, telling him that he's worth it. He can changed his life, starting today. Don't sleep behind the funeral home, sleep behind the Salvation Army. Don't drink. Don't touch meth, you've been off it for three years and you are so much more than that.

This man, he's changing the other homeless man into something great. He's praying for that man, and I told him I'd pray for them as well. Because faith, my friend, is an amazing gift we're given. And why wouod we not share our faith with someone who needs it?

He has piercings. He has tattoos. He has a dark complexion.

But none of that matters.

He has a heart, a big warm, loving heart.

And that my friend, is amazing.