Sous chef

Short film for #hannigramweek2023

Day 6

Theme: Cooking Together

Will stepped in the kitchen just enough, most of the time because he was passing through to go to another room or because he was thirsty. But nothing more. The kitchen was Hannibal's territory under strict orders.

- I don't want you to hurt your precious hands," he always said, kissing them. What would I do without them?

Because, of course, if Will's hands were gone, the main problem would be Hannibal's, Will would get used to it.

Lately Will has been dissatisfied with that order. He doesn't understand why he can't have free access to this part of the house, but instead he has invited Hannibal, every time he goes fishing, to his land. She doesn't see it as fair. They are supposed to be married and share everything.

- Hannibal, I wish I could cook something for myself one day. I don't know, if you don't want me to cook for you because my meals are basic, then fine. But I barely know how to cook, it's a bit weird living here.

- And why are you going to cook for me? Not to belittle your food, Will, but mine is Michelin-starred and yours...isn't - he says as innocently as he can.

- That's belittling, Hannibal. Seriously, what's it cost you? - she makes hurt puppy dog eyes, the kind she knows are irresistible to her husband.

Hannibal smiles, knowing all too well Will's strategy and knowing what his reaction will be.

- That's fine," he says. But - he puts his finger on his chest - I'm present. Otherwise, forget it.

Will snorts. He takes that threatening finger and raises it to his lips. He kisses it. Hannibal grabs his neck and Will knows he's won.

(....................................................................................................................)

- Do you know what day it is today? - Hannibal asks him as soon as they open their eyes, in bed.

- I don't know... Saturday?

- Besides Saturday - he laughs -. Come on, Will, think.

Will's not in the mood to think about riddles or anything else when he's just woken up. It's enough for him to be alive for one more day, certainly.

- Fuck, Hannibal, I know my name is Will and don't ask me much more. What day is it?

- Our anniversary - he smiles at her, showing his teeth.

- Which one? Because every now and then you tell me it's our anniversary: the first time we met in Jack's office, the first time I got an attack of encephalitis, the first time you touched me, my first murder, our first kiss, our first trip together, our first...time. Oh, I'm forgetting our wedding anniversary - Will looks at him ironically.

- All of them moments to celebrate, of course. What great moments - Hannibal closes his eyes, remembering -. Today is our wedding anniversary, honey. It's exactly three years since you agreed to 'till death do us part'. And that's literal with me.

Will doesn't need me to repeat it out loud. With Hannibal, everything is extreme. His way of enveloping you in his world is obsessive, possessive, insane. Will's life revolves around Hannibal and Hannibal's life revolves around Will, he goes out of his way for his young husband, there is not a day when he thanks himself - because for Hannibal, it's all thanks to him - for having manipulated Will to the extreme and, in doing so, getting him to open his eyes.

- I have a surprise for you, something you've been asking for lately and I haven't given you yet: today you'll cook with me, Will Graham! You're promoted to the role of Sous Chef - he kisses him on the head.