Chapter 6

Regulus knew he deserved the pink robes all of the Slytherins found themselves wearing the next day. He figured his brother and company heard what happened with Evalyn. He could only be mad at himself. 'If only it could be different. If only I could be good.' Barty sat next to him in the Great Hall at breakfast.

"Reggie I think I look pretty fit in this color, don't you agree?" He winked at the younger Black brother.

With cheeks to match his robes, the boy just rolled his eyes. Snape, Avery, and Mulciber slammed the doors open, all eyes turned to them. "Black, Potter I know you did this. You better watch your backs." Snape called out to the lions. Evalyn, who was about to go into the Hall, heard the commotion and turned back around. She wanted no part of whatever was happening.

The girl made her way into the kitchen to grab her usual muffin. "Good morning Goobey" she bent down and gave the house elf a warm hug.
"Good morning Miss Fern, is there anything Goobey can help you with?"
"Please just call me Evalyn Goobey, we are friends. I'm just grabbing a muffin."
The house elf started tearing up "Of course, anything for my friend" and left.
A few minutes later Goobey returned with a basket of muffins. "Goobey packed extra for the two boys." Evalyn frowned and gave Goobey another hug. "Thank you Goobey."

As she was walking out of the kitchens, she swung the door open and came face to face with the Marauders. "Lynnie we knew you would be here!" Sirius grabbed a muffin and threw his arm around her shoulders.
"How did you know that?" She mumbled before moving the basket away from the boys.

"Doesn't matter Evie, we have decided to walk you to your classes for the next couple of days." Evalyn furrowed her brows before turning to James. "I can't ask you to do that, we don't have the same schedule."
Peter piped up, "that's okay, we just don't want the snakes to hurt you again."

Her stomach filled with anxiety thinking about it and she grew quiet. Sirius, noting her tense up in his arm, laughed loudly. "My dear brother and his lovely companions won't mess with you anymore."

At those words she halted her steps and whipped around to face the boy. Anger flaming in her sage green eyes. "Regulus didn't mean it. He would never hurt me intentionally. I know you think he is a twat but that boy is everything to me and I will not stand here and let you insinuate that he doesn't care about me." With that, she stormed off leaving all 4 boys stunned.

That night, Evalyn found herself still in a sour mood on the way to the kitchens. She simply wanted something sweet to make her feel better. However as she entered the room, she locked eyes with Regulus and Barty. The boys opened their mouths to apologize but Evalyn ran up to them and tackled them in a hug before words could be said.

"You don't have to say it boys, I already know, I forgive you."

"You shouldn't E, especially not me. I was an arse." She stepped back from the two and shook her head.

"I have said it since the beginning. Your safety comes first. I know who you truly are. Barty, you are the craziest, most dedicated person I know. And Reggie, you are a grump with a big heart. I know you both care about me. I know you both have good in you. But I also understand that you have to act a certain way to everyone else to stay safe and I can't be mad at you for that."

The boys both teared up and gave her another hug. "Eva can we have some brownies tonight?" Evalyn grinned slyly, "yes but this time you are helping" and passed the boys some aprons.

A flour fight and one tossed batch later, the trio ate the brownies and laughed for the next couple of hours. "Get to bed boys, I'll clean up." Barty gave her a hug and a kiss on the temple and left the kitchen.

"I'm alright Reggie, I promise." Regulus lingered for a minute before sitting down again.

"You are too good for us E. I'll make it up to you on your birthday next week, I promise. I really am sorry. I wish I could do more." Evalyn padded over to the boy and put her hands over his.
"I know, besides, how can I turn down my little brother spoiling me on my birthday?" He laughed and stood up to give her a tight hug.
"I love you E."
"I love you too Reg."

"Prongs, I don't understand how she's so chummy with Regulus but not me. All girls love me. I'm Sirius Black." As if on cue, two girls giggled and waved at him. Unfortunately for him, his attention was on the Hufflepuff table where a certain witch was missing.
"I'm sorry Pads, she will come around. I know it." James clapped his best friend on the shoulder. "Hey Lilyflower, if I win the Quidditch match will you go on a date with me?" A groan was heard as well as a loud bang when said witch dropped her head on the table.

"Hi Peter."

The 3 boys whipped their heads towards the new voice. Evalyn stood there only looking at the shy boy.

"Where's Remus? I need to give him something." The girl glanced everywhere but at Sirius. The black haired teen clinched his jaw.

"Sorry Evalyn, he's in the —"
"Hospital Wing." Sirius cut off Peter. The girl simply nodded and walked away.

"Maybe you should just apologize Pads." The boy hummed a response before turning to a group of girls and winking.

The hospital wing was the one place Evalyn was scared of. She had too many memories of being in and out of the hospital for her mom. She padded over to the scarred boy with her head down. He was asleep, but he looked so pained. Her heart grew sad at the sight, and instead of waking him, wrote a quick note and left her box of brownies beside him.

Remus,
I don't go back on my word. The boys chose brownies and I wanted to give you lot the leftovers. Plus, you said chocolate helps you and you look like you could use some. I added in some extra chocolate chips for you. I'm still counting on that favor.
From, Evalyn
P.S. Tell Sirius I'm not mad at him, I just am too nervous to say anything first.

While Evalyn tucked into bed, Sirius stayed up at night reading over the note, trying to figure out how to apologize for once.