Chapter 82

On a chilly September morning, Remus and Sirius were called last minute to help the Prewett twins track down some death eaters. Sirius left Evalyn with a quick kiss on the lips, promising to be home for dinner.

A couple hours later, Evalyn was tidying up their flat. Her music played softly in her headphones. A blue glowing patronus startled her. She let out a squeal and dropped the basket of clothes she was carrying when the phoenix popped up. Dumbledore was requesting her assistance for a task Moody and Edgar Bones had left for. Evalyn quickly changed into pants and a jumper, throwing her hair up into a ponytail before apparating to the location.

When she arrived, it had been chaos. Fire blazed in the trees surrounding them. The air held a suffocating smoke. Edgar had been severely wounded, while Moody was taking on 4 death eaters on his own to protect him from getting hurt worse. Without hesitating, she started sending curses towards the masked enemies. 2 of them quickly turned their wands on her, sending curse after curse. Evalyn effortlessly blocked each one.

Moody grunted when she made her way to his side, "Nice of you to finally join us." He didn't even turn to look at her as he spoke. The wizard sent a binding spell to a death eater, hitting them straight on. They froze and collapsed to the floor. Evalyn summoned their wand and pocketed it.

She smiled brightly as she fought, "Ah I knew you missed me Moods, so am I your favorite since you asked for my help personally?" Another grunt from the man was the only response she got. The truth was, he did have a soft spot for the girl. He would never admit it out loud though. Evalyn blasted a death eater towards a tree, and then made its branches lock the person's arms and legs in place. She walked over and plucked the wand from their hand with a wink.

A wail of pain came from Edgar which brought Evalyn back to the reality of the situation. It had become easier for her to fight if she tried to joke around. She ran over to his side, blood gushed from several cuts in his body. A mixture of his tears and blood coated her palms as she tried to heal him. The wounds refused to close as she muttered different spells. "Moody!" Evalyn called. One death eater focused solely on Evalyn and Edgar, the other on Moody. She noticed that the other one had not shot a single curse at her the entire time. One hand was raised, holding a protective earth shield around her and Edgar, the other hovering her wand over his body. "Moody! I can't heal him! Nothing is working!" 2 more death eaters arrived.

Edgar grabbed her hand, gasping for air. She turned down to look at him. His eyes spoke the words he wanted to say. Tears pooled in her waterline, and she held his hand. With the earth solidifying a wall around them, her other hand went to his hair, stroking it softly. "I'm so sorry Edgar." In his last breaths, he smiled a small pained smile and squeezed her hand. She watched as the light left his eyes. A minute passed by which felt like an eternity to her. With her fingers, she closed his eyes and stood up. His blood still coating her palms.

Evalyn stepped back out into the fight just as Moody got hit by a dark curse to the face. His nose bled, but the man kept fighting. The death eater who hit him let out a loud familiar laugh. The former hufflepuff easily captured the 2 new death eaters in her rage while Moody continued to duel what Evalyn now realized was Evan. Once he noticed that it was him against the two of them, he threw off his mask.

"Ah Little Birdie, always a pleasure." He sent a wicked grin to Evalyn as he sent another nonverbal spell to Moody. He was a talented young wizard, in both regular and dark magic. Hardly anyone could duel with Moody and keep up.

The fires in the trees crackled while Evalyn stepped closer, not raising her wand. "Evan, stop fighting, it's time to give up." She slipped her wand into a holster strapped on her thigh.

Moody shielded himself from an onslaught of spells, the taste of his own blood in his mouth. "It's not the time to talk Lass, he made his choice." Once there was a break in Evan's spells, he sent a few of his own.

"Merlin I can try! Evan, you know the deal, I can't use my wand. But you and I both know I don't need it. Don't make me do this. Turn yourself in!"

The former Slytherin stepped towards her, alternating between protecting himself and sending curses. "I'm not going to Azkaban Birdie." A sad smile was sent her way. "I won't do it. Do what you have —" his eyes went wide and his hand went to his abdomen. In his distraction, Moody had hit him with a fatal blow. Evalyn, despite Moody's protests, ran to his side.

Even though they fought on opposite sides, she still had a place in her heart for him. This was still the boy who helped her learn to use her powers in the first place. The boy who risked his life for a half blood, despite having such pureblood supremacist ideals. He fell to the ground and she slid to her knees beside him. "Merlin, Evan why couldn't you just listen to me!" Tears threatened to fall down her face.

"I wish you would have chose me little bird. Dont miss me too much." He sent her his usual cocky smirk, despite the agonizing pain he was in. Evalyn didn't leave his side as he took his last few breaths. Moody had taken the time to call in the Aurors to arrest the unconscious death eaters they had rounded up.

Neither Order member said a word until they got back to Dumbledore. They were met by a roughed up Remus and Sirius. Both men looked like they had been dragged through Hell. A vacant look in both of their eyes. When Sirius noticed Evalyn walk in behind Moody, he ran to her. His shaky hands caressed her face before he wrapped his arms around her. The man broke down in her hold, his body shaking as he sobbed. She rubbed soothing circles on his back, not yet asking what happened. The girl had noticed the lack of the twins and feared for the worst.

Dumbledore strolled into the room, his face looked tired. Bags hung underneath his eyes. Sirius didn't even bother to release his grip on Evalyn despite his crying slowing down. She guided him into a chair right next to Remus, choosing to sit on the armrest so he can still have his hands on her. Sirius, however, decided it still wasn't close enough so he pulled her into his lap before burying his face into her neck. His arms still wrapped protectively around her as if he needed to feel that she was real. She swung her feet over the armrest to the one on Remus' chair just to show the werewolf she was there for him as well. Remus didn't look her was but place a hand on her ankles, tapping anxiously on her shoes. Dumbledore chose to ask Moody first about their task, seeing that the younger men weren't ready to talk.

"We lost Bones. A few death eaters were arrested, but we killed one." Sirius felt Evalyn's body tense and his head shot up to meet her face. A questioning look in his eyes was met by a small shake of her head. It was then that he noticed the blood that dried upon her hands and clothes.

"I'm fine Sirius, it's not mine." She whispered, trying her best to comfort his worries.

"Evan Rosier, Evalyn tried to talk him out of fighting. He said he wouldn't give up and when he was distracted I hit him." Sirius buried his head into Evalyn's shoulder. He was mentally tired of today's events. He had no care for the pure blood, but knew that Evalyn did and he hated to see her upset. Remus gave a quick squeeze of her ankles, it was the best comfort he could offer.

"Remus, Sirius? How bad was it?"

"It was a slaughter" Sirius growled.

Remus cleared his throat, Evalyn looked towards the werewolf and noticed he was trying to prepare himself for what he was going to say. "Fabian and Gideon -" his voice cracked as he blinked back the tears. His scarred hands tapped rapidly against Evalyn's shoes. She felt Sirius hide himself in her shoulder and started to silently cry. "-they sacrificed themselves to let us escape." Evalyn released a shaky breath and her hands tightened around Sirius' arm. "They took on 5 death eaters and we apparated just as they -" his sentence was never finished. The werewolf sobbed and gripped onto her ankles for dear life.

"Evalyn dear, take them home. They've had enough today. You all have. Get some rest." She nodded and stood up, taking Sirius with her over to Remus. She held both of their hands as they apparated to their flat.

The three sat together on the sofa in silence. Evalyn placed in the middle, a hand holding each of theirs, providing what little comfort she could offer. The blood, sweat and tears of today still staining their skin, clothes, and hearts.