Chapter 11

James Potter was starting to see a sister in Evalyn. As Halloween came closer, the two spent more time hanging out. All he wanted was to give her a fun night for Halloween, so he told her to pick costumes for them. This question came about one night while she was baking cookies in the kitchens. Excitedly, she dashed out and went straight to her dorm.

Coming back to James, she threw him what looked like a strange metal thing.
"Evie what is this supposed to be?"

"I charmed it, muggles have this thing called a television, and it shows moving pictures that tell stories. I tweaked a piece of metal to show a couple bits of my favorites." Evalyn tapped the metal and a hazy picture showed up.
"I'm still figuring out the bugs so it's not perfect yet."
James gaped at the piece of scrap. He adjusted his glasses and furrowed his brows at the moving scene. "Do the muggles stay in here?"
"No James, someone takes a camera and records a group of muggles in costume talking. It's like our pictures in the wizard world but with sound and the image lasts longer." He was watching a scene of a man in costume with a cape. She tapped her wand again and it changed to a woman wearing a similar outfit.
"These are my favorites, they are Superman and Wonder Woman. You could compare them to someone like an Auror, but more powerful. They fight the bad guys and save the world."

The idea of being a hero hit James' heart.
"I love it Evie, it's perfect." She took the metal back from James and replaced it with a stack of muggle books. "If you want to know more, you can read these. Muggles call them comic books. They tell stories using drawings. Just please be careful with them, they mean a lot to me. I'll owl my parents and get the costumes." He flipped carefully through the pages before smiling. "Padfoot will go crazy seeing you dressed like this." Evalyn blushed and hid her face behind a curtain of hair. "Please James, he has a date, and I'm just me." The boy shook his head "Evie love, you are worth more than you think."

The day of Halloween, Evalyn was pacing back and forth in the room of requirement. She had on short blue shorts with white stars all over them, a red corset style top with gold embellishments, and knee high red and gold boots. "B can you do my hair?" The boy gave her a grin and tapped her head. Her hair turned black and fell into loose curls that came down past her shoulders. "It'll last 24 hours Eva, you look stunning." He then took her glasses off and placed them in her bag.
Regulus grabbed her final touch, a golden crown with a red star on the front. He placed it on her head and smiled. "I don't understand it, but you look beautiful." He placed a kiss on the top of her head. She looked at both boys in front of her. "I love you guys, be careful okay?" The two were dressed as vampires, matching bite marks on their necks. "If you need us you know the signal E, we can meet you back here." They gave her a final hug and she went off to meet James.
She found him outside the portrait of the Gryffindor common room. "Hi Evie! You look great!" He grabbed her hand and spun her around. "You too James," she giggled at his proud stance. He wore a tight blue suit with red underwear on top, a big yellow and red S on his chest and a red cape. The two made their way inside and he led them directly to their friends. Evalyn was pulled over to the girls by a tipsy Marlene. "So Evalyn, enough of the boys for you, hang out with us for a bit. You look fit tonight, I don't know if I want to be you or kiss you." She turned red and started fiddling her fingers. "Um okay I can stay."
"This is Alice, Lily, Mary, and my girlfriend Dorcas" Marlene was yelling while pointing to the girls. She timidly waved at the group before looking down. A soft hand wrapped around her arm.
"What does Potter know about Superman?" Lily questioned the girl. She had a faint blush on her cheeks as she talked to Evalyn.
Seeing a chance to shed a good light on James, Evalyn perked up. "He did it for me, he wanted me to have a good night considering certain things. He told me to pick the costumes and so I told him and then he learned all about Superman for me. He actually seemed to really care about it."
The red headed witch hummed and glanced at the Potter boy. Maybe he's not so bad. As if he felt her eyes, he looked towards the girls, "Lilyflower you could be my Lois Lane, you know you want to." He shot a wink at her.
"In your dreams James" she giggled. The girls all turned towards her with their mouths open.
"You just called him James" Evalyn whispered.
"I know Evalyn, look at him, I think he's broken." They looked at James, and sure enough, he was frozen, wide eyed with a silly grin on his face. She called me James.

Sirius' attention was finally on the little Hufflepuff, his date was still mad at him so he showed up on his own. He heard her familiar giggle and turned his head towards her. He recognized the costume from the picture books James was reading. He eyed her up and down before deciding to walk over.
"Lynnie doll, you look breathtaking." He breathed out with the trademark Black family smirk. "Trying to steal my date Pads," James came over and threw his arm around the girl. There was no malice in his eyes though, just mischief. The boy chuckled in response.
"If Lynnie gets tired of you she knows where I am at. Who can resist me?" He took a sip from his drink as the girl rolled her eyes.
"I think I might steal Lily's line. You are being an arrogant toe-rag."
As Sirius went to speak, no words came out. Instead he felt is body start changing. Soon enough it was no longer Sirius standing there, it was Filch. On the other side of the room, Barty and Regulus laughed at the scene and Regulus flicked his wand in his brother's direction. The clothes Sirius, now Filch, was wearing, turned into a sparkling dress. Everyone around him started laughing at his new look. The boy was a mess, not being used to being embarrassed in public. "Moony help me change back." He dragged the werewolf boy to their dorms.
"I'm getting a drink." Evalyn got up and made her way to the drink area.
"Hey little birdy, you look pretty fit tonight." She turned slowly to the owner of the new voice behind her. However, she didn't say anything. She fiddled with her fingers and looked to the ground.
The boy bent down to meet her eyes, he was tall with a head of shaggy golden hair. Eyes of bright blue. "Evan Rosier, and your name is Evalyn right?" He gave her a pearly white smile.

"Yes that is my name, is there something I can help you with? I don't think I know you." She mumbled the words nervously. Evalyn wasn't scared of the Slytherin, she just wasn't used to boys flirting with her.

He held out his hand for her and she shook it hesitantly. "I just wanted to introduce myself to the prettiest girl here." Evalyn muttered a quick thank you before running back off towards her friends.

"I'll see you around little bird!" He called out with amusement towards her retreating figure. Unbeknownst to her, Peter and James seen what happened and shared concerned looks. They made a note to keep an eye on the Slytherin boy.