Chapter 42

Sirius and Evalyn found a 2 bedroom flat in muggle London a couple weeks into summer. It turns out her parents left enough money for her to survive on for two years after Hogwarts. Monty and Effie had been helping Evalyn with her magic, mostly wandless since that's what came easiest to her. The spells were easier to control if she used just her hands instead of her wand.

However, there were times when she became overly emotional which led to accidents happening. Today for instance, she had been extremely sad about her parents and the two boys. Evalyn couldn't even bring herself out of bed. The sadness was drowning her. Almost literally. Her emotions caused rainclouds to form in the bedroom, surrounding her with pouring rain. As Sirius was making them some sandwiches, he heard a commotion from the room, and rushed to the door. Upon opening it, water rushed out, soaking his feet and the hems of his pants.

"Lynnie, my love, what's wrong?" He practically yelled as he sloshed his way over to the sobbing girl. "Everything!" Her arms widely gestured to the rain around them. Sirius took her face in his hands, pushing back the soaked strands of hair that clung to it. "I'm right here doll, talk to me."

"They all left me, what if you leave me too?" She looked up at him with red puffy eyes. The tears mixed with the rain as they fell down her cheeks. Sirius sat on the bed, pulling her into his lap. He wrapped one arm around her waist and the other held her head into his chest. She clung onto the wet fabric of his shirt. "I hate to say it Lynnie, but you'll have to kill me if you wanted to get rid of me. Lucky for you, I have a pretty face that you get to see every morning when you wake up." She could just picture the smirk on his face.

He slowly rocked her back and forth, "How about I get the Flea to make some Sleeping Draught and see if Effie has some soup?" Evalyn nodded, still crying "if it's not too much trouble."

"Darling, I would go to the ends of the world and back just to make you feel better. I will be right back, I promise." He tucked her in and ran out, without his shoes, and grabbed some floo powder.

At the Potter Manor, Monty and James were wrestling around while Effie watched humorously. A bright flash of green came from the fireplace and all three froze and a soaking wet barefoot Sirius stepped out. James snickered "Did someone try to drown you Padfoot." Effie smacked him lightly with her hand. "What's wrong love?" She waved her wand to dry the teen off. "Nothing mum, do you happen to have soup and a sleeping draught for Evalyn?" The witch said nothing as she went to the kitchen. Monty eyed him wearily. "Is that why you were wet?" Sirius pursed his lips.
"She hasn't stopped crying, it's caused a bit of a flood." James' jaw dropped and he pushed his glasses up. He marched to the fireplace, grabbed a handful of powder and left. Sirius went to follow him, but Effie came back with some containers and a vial. "What are you waiting for? Let's go take care of our daughter." She barely glanced at the remaining two before flooing away.

Evalyn heard a pop, but she still couldn't bring herself to stop crying. James went through a drawer in the 2nd room, he kept some clothes in there since it was practically his second home, and pulled out a raincoat with some shorts. After he changed, he removed his socks and shoes and barged into Evalyn's room. He disregarded the water that poured out, and all the rain that came down on him and plopped on top of Evalyn.

"James I can't breathe." The boy was starfished across her, most of his weight on her abdomen. She gasped for a breath as she tried wiggling out from under him. "Are you calling me fat you twat?" Evalyn groaned, "Yes you daft cow, get off of me." James let out a gasp. "How dare you, you babbling buffoon, what would Minnie say when she found out you called her favorite student that?" Evalyn didn't respond but used all her strength to sit up and shove the boy off of her. He landed on the floor with a loud thud.

Effie and Monty paid no noise to the thud, as the sound of rain had stopped. However, Sirius was worried and took off running to the room. When he entered, he found Evalyn holding James in a headlock, while James was pulling at her hair. The two froze and just stared at him with matching crooked grins. A glint formed in Sirius' eyes and Evalyn panicked at the sight. She swiftly pulled James in front of her as Sirius started running towards them. James, being the pro quidditch player he is, ducked just as Sirius dived at them, leaving Evalyn to be tackled onto the bed.

"James you traitor!" She squealed as Sirius started tickling at her sides. He pushed his glasses up before jumping at the pair. All three were play fighting when Monty showed up in the doorway. The floors were damp with rain puddles still, all of the furniture soaked. He laughed before clearing his throat. "Boys, help your mum set the table. I need to speak with Evalyn." The two boys ran past him, shoving each other the whole way. The older wizard took a seat next to Evalyn on the bed. She grimaced as the wet sheets soaked into his robes.

"Your father asked me to take care of you if something were to happen to him. But honestly he didn't even need to do that. You have become a daughter to me, and even if your parents were still here, I'd still take care of you as if you were my own." He held an arm out for her to come into his embrace. "That being said, I'm going to help you fix this" he gestured to the room around them. "I won't fix it for you, but I will be here to guide you if you mess up."

"Take a deep breath and picture what you want in your mind. You'll need a combination of air and heat to dry the room and furniture." Evalyn held Monty's hand and closed her eyes. In her mind she tried to imagine drying her surroundings. When she felt confident, she held out her free hand and spoke her images into her mind. Monty gasped as he felt a warm breeze brush by them. He watched as the moisture was sucked from the wooden floorboards and evaporate. He gave her hand a squeeze to signal that it was done and she slowly opened her eyes. Monty beamed down with her in pride as she looked around the room in shock.

"I did it." She stood up and squealed, shaking the wizard's shoulders. "Yes you did Evalyn, you did great." The moment of excitement was cut off when they noticed her hair change. It grew quite a bit longer, now reaching the middle of her thighs. "Let's take a break from magic for the rest of the day." Evalyn agreed before grinning slyly. "I'll race you to the table." She didn't even give him a chance before she took off running. Monty rolled his eyes before apparating to the table.

"I beat y-." Her smile faded into a scowl as she seen the man standing there smugly with his arms crossed. Sirius barked out a laugh, "Nobody can beat Monty in a race." Evalyn stuck her tongue out at the man, "You cheated. Everyone knows I'd beat you in a real race." She winked and puffed out her chest. This made all the males laugh as they knew physical activity was not her forte.

"Alright dear?" Evalyn smiled and was about to answer. "I'm great mum," James piped up first. But Evalyn and Sirius chuckled before Evalyn started talking, "I'm good now Effie, thank you for coming over, I'm sorry I was a bother." The Potter mother gave her a motherly look, "You are never a bother love, you are family."

Evalyn's heart soared at the words before taking in the food on the table. The sweet smell of herbs filled the room. A warm soup that could probably cure any ailments was set in front of them. The warm broth went down her throat, filling her body with comfort. This was exactly what she needed.

Author's Note:
Merry Christmas lovelies!