Chapter 13

It is now midway through November, Evalyn is sat in the Gryffindor common room learning how to play wizard's chess from Peter.
"I'm absolute rubbish at these Pete." The girl put her head in her hands after she lost for the 6th time.
"You'll get it Evalyn, you have the best teacher for it. Nobody can beat me." The boy looked proud of himself. The two have become close after she ran to him begging for forgiveness. Of course he reassured her that he wasn't ever mad at her. "One day I will beat you at this, I promise you that." She grinned at him before setting her pieces back up.

Sirius ran up to the pair and flopped next to Evalyn. "If Wormy wins this one you go to Hogsmeade with me dear Lynnie." She furrowed her brows before making the first move. "Are you serious? What if I win?"
"The one and only, and if you win, I take you to Hogsmeade." The boy winked at her.
"That's the same thing though. What do I get in return?" Sirius scoffed and rolled his eyes.
"You get a date with THE Sirius Black." Evalyn's eyes widened and Peter laughed. "I think she's broken Pads." He put his old leather jacket around her shoulders and started playing with her curls. "I want to take my Lynnie on a date today." Her stomach fluttered at the name. Pulling herself together, she put on a cool face, and shrugged her shoulders. "Okay but I gotta run somewhere real quick."
"That's okay Evalyn, I just beat you anyways." Without saying anything, she took off to find her two best friends.

It took 10 minutes to find them and she pulled the two into a dark alcove. "I'm going on a date like right now, but I wanted to ask if you were okay with it before I go. If not it's fine, I can turn him down. I wouldn't do it if you didn't approve." Her rambling was cut off by a hand over her mouth.
"It's my brother isn't it?" Evalyn gave him puppy eyes and nodded her head.
Barty squealed and jumped excitedly "I KNEW IT" and Regulus rolled his eyes. "If he hurts you, I'll murder him." The girl squealed and ran back to the boy who was waiting on her.

It was a peaceful day. Sirius' old leather jacket provided much needed warmth from the cold breeze. His fingertips brushed against hers as they walked past the many shops. For some reason, he couldn't find the courage to actually grab her hand.
"I never got you a birthday present" he said thoughtfully as they passed another store. "It's fine Sirius, we barely knew each other." He pouted at her. "But your gift was amazing, it's settled, I'm buying you something." She waved him off as they got to Honeydukes. He held open the door for her and followed her inside. She picked up some sugar quills and a couple bars of chocolate. "Sugar quills are my favorite, but I owe Remus some chocolate, he's been sharing with me when I'm sad." Evalyn walked up to the counter and before she could even grab her money pouch, Sirius laid the money down. "What kind of gentleman would I be if I didn't pay for my lady?" He grinned down at her.
Their next stop was a little antique store that Evalyn loved to visit. An old woman came around the counter and gave her a big hug, "Oh Evalyn dear, you're growing beautifully." The girl flushed in embarrassment, giving a bashful smile. "Thank you Celeste, this is Sirius" she pulled the boy over to meet the woman. He gave a big pearly smile and stuck his hand out politely "it's nice to meet you." Celeste looked him over sternly before breaking out into a smile "It's my pleasure boy, I hope you're taking care of her" she pulled him into a tight hug. "Only the best for my Lynnie" he smirked at the girl who was trying to hide her face.
"Now tell me Celeste, what would be the perfect gift for our Lynnie? She's not making it easy on me." Evalyn rolled her eyes at how cheeky Sirius was being.
"I have just the thing for you" the old woman pulled the couple to a small display case. Inside was a small simple locket. "It's not just any locket dearies. It comes as a pair. If you hold onto it, and you say the other person's name, it will light up so they will know you are thinking about them, and the inside of the locket will show their location. They can also only be taken off by either of the owners." A grin broke out on Sirius' face. "I'll take them."
The old woman pulled the lockets out and handed them to the boy. "Don't worry about payment dear, seeing her happy is enough for me." The boy gave the woman another hug and slipped a couple galleons into her apron. "Thank you Celeste, I'll take care of her." He put the locket around Evalyn's neck, pulling her frizzy curls out from underneath it. In return she put his on too. "Thank you Sirius, and thank you Celeste, I will be sure to see you soon!" The couple decided then to get some butterbeer. Getting tired of waiting, she grabbed his hand and interlaced their fingers with a sly grin. He smiled at the action and led them to a table at the Three Broomsticks. "I'll go get the drinks Lynnie, I'll be right back." She sat patiently in bliss when a certain Slytherin walked up. "It's a shame little bird, I was hoping to ask you on a date but it looks like you are busy."
Evalyn locked eyes with Evan and held her chin up. "I don't go on dates with people who are rude to my friends." He leaned over and caressed her cheek, "You'll see birdy, you'll be mine soon."
"Oi Rosier! Back off of her" Sirius Black was furious when he got back to the table. He set the drinks down and pushed Evan away.
"I'm leaving Black, but you won't be around Lynnie forever." He smirked at Sirius.
"Don't call her that" the boy shoved the Slytherin again.
"Sirius please sit down" Evalyn wrapped her hand around his wrist and pulled him back. He looked down at her and seen the pleading in her eyes. With a grumble he sat back down and flipped Evan off. "See you around little bird." Rosier stalked off.
Soon enough, spirits were high again as they made their way back to the castle. "I had fun Sirius, thank you for today." Evalyn had a huge smile on her face.
"Maybe we can do it again, I like hanging out with you." The boy pulled her into his arm as they walked side by side. She hesitated before saying her next words. "I thought Sirius Black doesn't date?" He grew silent for a minute, deep in thought. "I think I can make an exception. I think I want to try it."

Little did they know, there were two boys back in the Slytherin dorms crying. Regulus had just gotten a letter from his parents that sealed his fate this Christmas break. A tough decision was to be made. He could either be selfish and drag Evalyn into the dark with him, or he would have to cut her off so she would be safe. It broke his heart, but he knew what he had to do. And to do it, he needed to speak to his brother first.