Chapter 21

"Why don't you have a biscuit dear" Professor McGonagall looked at the distraught boy in front of her. Despite being their professor, she grew a fond place in her heart for the 4 boys. She truly loved them like they were her own children.
Normally Sirius would laugh at the word dear, for obvious reasons. This time, he just nodded and grabbed a biscuit.
"Why must women be so difficult Minnie?" The woman pursed her lips but said nothing allowing him to continue on his rant.
"She has to know I didn't mean what I said! I'm not a bloody prat. Maybe it's just her blood moon time? Is that why she started to cry? I wasn't that mean was I?" The professor raised an eyebrow at him. He still wasn't paying attention to her though.

The boy furrowed his brows and gasped. "Bloody hell, maybe I am the problem? Am I a bad person? I mean I'm no Snivellous or Mullcy, but I do come from a long line of daft cows. That's what she would call them. Maybe it's in my blood. She looked so sad! Oh Minnie how do I fix it?"

"You are not a bad person Sirius, you made a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Try doing something she would like, or give her some flowers and apologize. She is a sweet girl, she will forgive you if you do it right." The older witch smiled but was tackled by the teen in a hug.
"Thank you Minnie, I owe you one!" The boy ran out with a newfound determination, as the witch shook her head fondly.

It has been a week since the incident on the train. Although she has still been around the Marauders, she hasn't really said anything. She kept mostly to herself. Sometimes she even joined Lily and her friends at meals instead.

They are now in their DADA class, it is an advanced class, so there is a mix of all 4 houses. Evalyn chose to sit next to another Hufflepuff, Amos Diggory, instead of with any of her usual friends. She hated making things awkward and didn't want to split up the boys. As she sat down she gave Amos a small smile and nod. In return he gave her a warm smile "Hi, it's Evalyn right?"

"Yes, and you are Amos Diggory yeah?" The boy nodded "I see you are coming back to the badgers, got tired of the lions?" He smiled at the girl who turned pink.

"It's just a bit of an awkward spot right now, besides I'm always proud to be Hufflepuff, I just don't have many friends there."

"Maybe we could change that" he gave a friendly nod and then turned his attention to the professor. Evalyn could have sworn she heard a low growl and then a quill snapped. She whipped her head over to the Gryffindors and raised an eyebrow at Sirius. He locked eyes with her and motioned towards Amos. She rolled her eyes and shook her head at him.
"Pads cut it out, he's just being friendly" James smacked the back of his head.

"Today we will be practicing wordless spells. You will partner up with the person next to you and at the end of class two students will give a demonstration." Evalyn has always been a natural at wordless spells. She has been doing it since 3rd year when her, Reggie and Barty decided to try them out. After 30 minutes of helping Amos figure it out, she glanced around the room at the others. Lily had figured it out immediately, Sirius and James were sending several hexes back and forth, not bothering to do it wordlessly anymore, laughing when the other one got hit, Remus was taking the time to show Peter how to get better at it. Overall it looked like only about half the students were able to do it. Out of the corner of her eye she seen Evan with his partner. The Slytherin grinned at her and she gave him a subtle nod. It was time for part of her deal.

"Okay everyone, I've seen good work from several students today, can I have 2 volunteers please? Evan Rosier immediately stood up. Sirius and the other boys paled as he walked up to the front. They knew Evan was a pretty fierce wizard, one of the top students in class. The group was worried for their friend.
"Ah Mr. Rosier good, now one more —"
"Actually Professor, I'd like to duel Evalyn Fern." The Professor looked to the girl in surprise.

"Miss Fern, would you like to volunteer?" Evalyn nodded and made her way to stand in front of Evan. The girl loved dueling, but she never did it in front of class because she hated the attention. She spent countless evenings dueling Regulus and Barty, but her peers did not know that.

The duo bowed to each other, but before they walked apart, Evan smirked and whispered "let's see what you got little bird."

"Let's try to do this completely wordless, and please nothing that will cause too much harm."
One
Two
Three
Rosier immediately sent the first one, Avis followed by a quick Oppungo. Birds shot towards Evalyn but she simply dodged them and sent a simple stunning spell.
He was going easy on her at first, trying to test her capabilities.
Tarantallegra
Rictumsempra
Levicorpus
Evalyn blocked the lat one with a quick Protego.
The students were shocked that they were using pretty harmless spells. The two were going back and forth like a choreographed dance. Evan was growing increasingly frustrated at how easily she was avoiding his spells. As much as she impressed him, he hated being embarrassed in front of everyone. Sirius started to grow anxious watching them, his knee bouncing up and down.

In good humor, Evalyn sent out a Calvorio that ended up hitting Evan. His hair was gone. In fury, he let out a loud Locomotor Mortis, Carpe Rectratum. The first one she narrowly missed but the second one hit Evalyn square in the chest. A cord of light wrapped around her and Evan drug her closer to him. There was a mix of fury and amazement in his eyes. Sirius stood up to stop him but Remus pulled him back down. "He can't do anything to hurt her in front of everyone, let her handle it mate, she can do it."
As she was struggling right in front of him, Evan flicked his wand, muttering a small Diffindo that only she could hear. A small cut formed on her cheek and she felt the trickle of blood start to fall down her face.
"Mr. Rosier that is enough, you were supposed to do this without words and you are taking it too far."
To everyone's surprise, Evalyn let a small chuckle past her lips and she glared at the Slytherin. As they made eye contact, her eyes flashed a bright golden so quickly only he and Sirius who was paying close attention noticed it. All of his anxiety left and he plastered a smug grin on his face. The other Marauders glanced at him in confusion before turning back to the scene.

Evalyn gave Rosier a cheeky wink, while she was still bound. This gave her the perfect distraction.
Expelliarmus
His wand flew out of his hand and into hers and she used it to undo his ropes. He stood there with his mouth wide open, frozen in shock. The class erupted in cheers for the small girl.
Evalyn wiped the little bit of blood off her face with the palm of her hand. As she walked back over to Evan to return his wand the Professor declared her the winner and gave Hufflepuff 50 house points.
She used his wand to close his jaw and patted him on the face, smearing the bit of blood onto him.
"Good duel Evan, it was fun. Guess you aren't the best in class anymore."

He shook off his look of shock and gave her a grin. "I'm impressed Birdy, it was an honor." Evan winked at her and bowed before walking off.

All of a sudden, four pairs of arms were thrown around her.
"Blimey Evee! You were splendid." James shook her excitedly.
Peter clapped her on the shoulder and gave her a friendly smile. Remus beamed down at her.
"We are so proud of you Evalyn!"
Sirius grabbed her hand and spun her around to face him. To her surprise, he pulled her into a hug and whispered "Good control Lynnie. You did great." She muttered a thank you and gave him a sad smile before walking off. He needs to apologize first.
Sirius stared after her longingly before turning to his mates. "I need some help."