Chapter 65

James and Evalyn were hunched behind a wall, Fabian and Gideon were several yards away leaning against a tree. The amount of Death Eater attacks has risen substantially over the past month or two. This was the first one that the Marauders were allowed to help with. Nerves racked Evalyn's body as she focused on breathing. James put his hand on her shoulder and her eyes met his. "You got this Evie, Sirius and Lily are nearby too just in case." She closed and exhaled a nervous breath.

"You're right, we got this." Determination lit in her eyes as she focused back on their surroundings. It was a quiet little poor town. Mostly filled with half bloods and muggles. Quaint shops filled the street. One of those towns where everyone seemed to know everyone else. The peaceful smiles on the people's face warmed Evalyn's heart.

It was soon disrupted as dark smoke filled the area. The people took off running into buildings, locking doors and shuttering windows. A couple brave souls pulled out their wands to defend their homes. Fabian and Gideon made their way to the attackers first, mischievous smiles never left their faces despite the serious situation. There were 10 death eaters. James nodded to Evalyn and the two stood up and ran to the chaos.

Although Sirius and James were brothers in every sense but blood, Evalyn and James shared a different bond. The way they worked together on the field was like they were two puzzle pieces that just meshed together. They were able to communicate without even saying anything. It was as if each one knew the other's next move before it even happened. As if they were platonic soulmates. When she worked with Sirius, they both felt the need to over compensate to protect the other. The love they shared for each other was almost a weakness when it came to fighting in battles. It was effective to work that way, but also potentially harmful when they were both ready to sacrifice themselves for the other.

They alternated between shielding and throwing spells. A similar manner to what the Prewetts were doing. They were taking on 4 of them at one time, while the Prewetts had taken 3 of their own. The remaining 3 were setting fire to the buildings. Evalyn just finished tying one up and she snapped his wand as James looked over his shoulder to her. "It's time Evie, we are getting overwhelmed." He shot out two curses at the death eaters, ducking as one was shot at his head. Evalyn looked towards the Prewetts who just disarmed one. She sighed and cracked her neck, tucking her wand away. A signal from her told James to throw up a shield around himself.

Stepping forward she pointed her hands towards two death eaters, the ground rose and solidified around their ankles, locking them in place. James sent an Expelliarmus their way, their wands flying into his hand. He snapped them and threw them on the ground before he focused on the last one. She made her way over to the Prewetts, eyeing the situation. Fabian gestured to the two rogue ones lighting fire to the buildings. After getting their approval, she made her way over to the other two.

Evalyn nearly froze as she got closer. One of the death eaters waved his wand almost dramatically. The motion seemed so familiar to her. She ducked behind a building and watched for a brief minute. His build was of a male, pretty lean and slightly on the taller side. She snuck closer and her eyes widened as he flicked his wand once again. There was only one wizard she knew of that moved so dramatically. Barty. He always had a flair for theatrics. Waiting for the moment when his partner was distracted, she gestured towards him. Vines crept up his body and under his mask to cover his mouth. Another flick of her wrist and the wind carried him over to her. With tears in her eyes, she pulled the mask up. His eyes avoided hers as she shoved him down to the ground. "Is he here?" She snarled the words. When he gave no response, she whipped her wand out and held it to his chest. "I said is he here?" Barty nodded his head in the direction of the Prewetts. He mumbled something so Evalyn removed the vine blocking his mouth so he can speak.