Chapter 78

The apology was awkward. Evalyn watched from across the room as the two men briefly shook hands. It felt forced, but it was the best Evalyn would get for now. She despised the way that they would tense up when in the same room and consistently cast side glances towards each other.

The witch had reached the end of her wit however. Between helping with the babies, going on Order missions, the bakery, and jumping back and forth between her friends, she was drained. It was so bad, Lily and James forced her to stay in the guest room for the night. They told Sirius they needed her help and that she would be fine.

James sat down beside her on the bed after she returned from bathing. Evalyn had put on the comfiest of pajamas and was struggling to brush the mats out of her hair. There was hardly any time to take care of herself anymore. James removed the brush from her hand and ran some of his father's potion through the curls. "Do you want to talk about it? I feel bad not being able to go out there and help."

Evalyn rubbed her nose with her sleeve. "I don't know how you did it all those years. Be the glue to hold everyone together. Even just taking this night away feels dangerous. What if I go back in the morning and it's all shattered?"

As he detangled each knot, he spoke quietly. "People like us were placed on this world for a reason. The lovers. The glue as you call it. We provide the foundation for the ones around us. Our hearts are what give people hope." Evalyn hummed as she thought over his words. "However, they are still grown adults. Their relationship has always been a roller coaster of emotions and words. They have known each other long enough to be able to come back from this. It will be okay if you let them work it out on their own."

"Well I guess you're right, that's one less problem that I could deal with."

"Not everything is your responsibility. You don't have to take care of everyone all of the time." He gently started plaiting her hair.

"Neither do you James. How are you holding up?" She felt his fingers pause in her hair.

"It kills me to be sitting here at home while everyone else is risking their lives. I love Harry and Lily with all of my heart. It's just hard to sit here and do nothing."

"Your life is at risk. In fact, you have the biggest stakes in this damned war. You are giving us a reason to keep fighting. Plus, you help keep me from losing my mind." The weight that had been sitting on her shoulders felt slightly lifted as he tied off her hair. She turned to face James and held his hand. "You've done so much for everyone for years, let us take care of you now."

He smiled at her and pushed up her glasses that were starting to slip. "Take care of yourself first. You can't take care of us if you are breaking." He stood up and threw a blanket at her. "Get some sleep, I'm sure Dumbles will have something for you to do tomorrow."

Indeed he did, the Order met up in a place unfamiliar to Evalyn. Immediately, she went to Sirius' side, giving Remus a big smile on her way past him. Her husband's arm wrapped protectively around her waist like always. His familiar lips brought a warmth to her cheek as he placed a kiss there. "How were they? Everything go okay?" Evalyn nodded and snuggled into his hold. "I missed you Lynnie." Another kiss landed on her temple.

"I missed you too love." She smiled up at Sirius, for the first time in a while feeling a bit more relaxed. No matter the issue, being in his arms was comforting to her. It's the feeling of home.

"Alright everyone, I have a few tasks that need to be done." Everyone turned their attention to the older wizard. "Sirius and Arthur, you will go to St. Mungos, there was a small attack in a small wizarding village near Diagon Alley. Ask the victims if they remember anything." The two men gave acknowledgement to their mission. "Edgar Bones, you will check in with the Longbottoms. Make sure their house wards are still holding up." A man Evalyn recognized from the Hufflepuff common room stepped forward and gave a nod before vanishing. "Lastly, Evalyn will be going with Benjy Fenwick undercover."

Sirius cleared his throat, "Can't he go with Arthur instead? I can take his place."

Moody was the one to respond with a grunt, "No boy, they will expect you to be with her. It would be rather stupid to have you both there."

A wizard who Evalyn had only brief conversations with stood up. He had tanned skin and short dark hair that was gelled up. Benjy was the definition of nice. The man didn't look like he could hurt a fly. "And where would there be exactly?" He knew that if he were paired with Evalyn for this, it could potentially be dangerous. Nothing against the witch, but there was usually trouble wherever she went.

"There is a charity ball upcoming at the start of the new year. Everyone will be in attendance. Evalyn's bakery has been chosen to provide some desserts. Due to circumstances, she will not be undercover. But you will be, as her assistant."

Benjy nodded and looked to Evalyn. "Is that okay with you?"

She glanced up at her husband who clenched his jaw. "That's okay." The words were quietly spoken. Sirius knew she didn't have a choice, but he desperately wished he could be there in case something happened.

"You will simply set up the dessert table, and then you can enjoy the night. Talk to people, see what they know." Evalyn nodded and looked down. Her hand went for Sirius' and she started twirling his rings.

"Is there anyone else we can send? Two people in a crowd full of potential death eaters is not smart. I don't know why I can't attend if it is not for another few months." Sirius grumbled to anyone who would listen.

Benjy actually agreed, "No offense to anyone here, but what are we supposed to do if it is a trap? Surely you don't think me and her can take on everyone in the room?"

Dumbledore spoke calmly, "I will have a small team of people there just in case things go bad. But I don't think they will considered all of the reporters that will be there to cover the event." Finally everyone agreed, except for Sirius who was still grumbling.

Peter walked over to Sirius' side, "I'll try to talk him into letting me be there. Don't worry."

Sirius clapped Peter on the shoulder, "Thanks Wormy, you are the best." Evalyn sent him a thankful smile from Sirius' other side.

"I don't know what I'd do without you Petey." He smiled back warmly at the girl before he walked back over to Remus.

At the end of the meeting, Benjy made his way over to the couple. He had immense respect for the pair considering how powerful and strong they were. A nervous smile was plastered on his face when he greeted them. "I will promise on my life to take care of her Sirius." Sirius glared up at the man who was slightly taller than him. Evalyn, who noticed the glare, nudged her husband. The former Gryffindor rolled his eyes and looked down at her. After seeing her glare directed at him, he turned his attention back on Benjy. "I would hope so mate, she means a lot to me."

Benjy rubbed the back of his neck anxiously, "Let's be honest though, she's the one who will probably be saving my neck. I admire her power— both of yours— your magic is strong. I look up to you." He stuttered out, not noticing the jealous look that overtook Sirius' face.

Evalyn gasped as she was pulled impossibly closer to Sirius' side in a firm grip. She looked to him and bit back a laugh when she noticed the green eyed monster possessing him. "Yes, I'm truly lucky to have such an amazing witch as my wife." His infamous smirk grew and mischief lit up his eyes, "and even luckier that I can make someone as stunning as her scream my name every night." Sirius sent a wink at a pale faced Benjy and disapparated with his wife.

When they popped back home, Evalyn was bent over laughing like crazy. Sirius started to laugh beside her "Did you see his face?"

"I think you traumatized him Pads." She struggled to catch her breath as her laughing slowed. Evalyn placed her hands on Sirius' chest, still smiling widely, "I think I like when you are jealous."

Sirius raised an eyebrow and lifted her up, wrapping her legs around his waist. "Is that so darling?"

Evalyn blushed and bit her lip. "Yes it is." His lips smashed against hers and her fingers started undoing the buttons on his shirt.

"Let me show the world that you are mine." The words were mumbled against her neck as he slowly made dark marks down to her chest.

"I'm yours forever Sirius." Her head was thrown back in pleasure. That night, he made certain she screamed his name.