Chapter 30

James Potter watched in curiosity as Sirius marched up to Snape. He was ready to step in and break up any fight that happened, but he wanted to see what the boy was up to.

Sirius started out confidently walking in the Slytherin's direction, but as he got closer he turned on his heel and started walking away. Then he stopped. He hung his head back and groaned before turning back towards the boy.

"Sniv— Snape" he called out. The greasy haired boy turned around, the usual scowl on his face.

"What do you want Black?" He crossed his arms in front of his chest. Sirius clenched his fist and let out a huff. James took a couple steps forward, hand hovering over his wand.
"I'm sor—" his words were stuck. He swallowed back a gag and rolled his eyes. Looking downward, he finished his statement. "I'm sorry." Snape pursed his lips, turned and walked away. James was frozen in shock, staring at his brother. Sirius sheepishly turned to him, and fiddled his rings. "I'm sorry to you too mate." His breath was caught in his throat as two arms were thrown around him instantly.

"I'm proud of you Pads. I don't forgive you just yet but I know that was hard for you to do." James muttered quietly so nobody could hear them. Sirius stepped back and cleared his throat. Sensing the tension in Sirius' gaze, James clapped him on the shoulder. "What trouble are you in now?"

"I think I love her." The words were said with a troubled look. Saying it out loud made it feel real, and it terrified him. James' steps halted and he abruptly turned around, a big crooked smile on his face. "I knew one day someone would unlock that heart of yours! This is great! I mean it's a little weird. My sister and brother are in love." His voice started to trail off as he lost focus. A shudder went down his spine as he tried to shake the thought.

Sirius deadpanned at him. "We are not in love, she doesn't love me. She hasn't said anything! I'm not going to tell her! I'm not good enough for her. Evalyn is like the sunshine of the world. She is everything good in life. I'm just me. She needs someone as bright and wonderful as her."

James nudged his shoulder. "She does, I can see it. You don't have to tell her now. And while I agree you are a daft cow at times, there are things about you that are wonderful. She might be the sunshine, but you are like the rain. There's beauty in both. She's brought out the good in you, makes you a better person." The famous Potter smirk graced his lips. "Besides, I give you my blessing to love my sister. Now let's make a plan to show her." For the first time since "The Prank," Sirius genuinely smiled.

Coming back from Hogsmeade, Evalyn was in a great mood. Her and Remus had three bags full of treats and goodies. She bought a new book that she would share with Remus when she finished it. The two teens made it back with plenty of time left in the day.

"I think I'm okay seeing him again." Evalyn glanced up at the tall boy walking next to her. "Are you sure? Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with Rem. Your heart doesn't deserve the pain." He threw an arm around her shoulder as they walked down the corridors. Remus could honestly say he had an immense amount of platonic love for this girl.
"I'm sure, I don't think we will ever be as chummy as we used to be. Besides, if you are dating the twat, you must see something in him that's good." Her cheeks blushed a light pink color and she bit her lip. With a shake of her head she looked up at him. They stopped walking as he noticed a sad look in her eyes.

"Do you think I'm naive? I've been told my heart is too big, and that I try too hard to find the good in people. Maybe that will be my downfall." He pulled her into a hug.

"Evalyn, someone has to see the good in people. Yes, I think you might trust people too easily and that could be dangerous. But I don't think you are naive. The world would be an awful place if it didn't have someone who believed in people. Now let's go find your dog before he tears apart the castle." Happiness flooded her face again and the werewolf beamed down at her.

Before making it back to the Gryffindor common room, Evan Rosier stopped the two.
"Dumbledore is requesting you little bird. He said he'd like to share some chocolate frogs." She didn't miss the concerned look on his face.
"Can you come with me Remus?" Evalyn grabbed for his hand in worry.
"I've got your back Evalyn."

The two followed Evan to the headmasters office. The Slytherin gave the girl a nod before wandering off back down the corridor. She muttered the password and the statue moved for them to enter.

"Miss Fern, take a seat. You as well Mr. Lupin." Dumbledore gestured to the seats in front of him. Evalyn's eyes darted around the room as she sat down. She took note of the fact that there was no twinkle in his eyes. Remus heard her heart start to race. He slipped a friendly hand into hers and gave her a reassuring squeeze.

"Professor what is this about?" There was a quiver in her voice. Everything was telling her that something bad happened. The wizard pursed his lips before saying calmly.
"It's your parents. Something has happened." Before he could say anything else she stood up and shook her head. "That's impossible, nothing happened to them." Her eyes flashed a furious gold.

He put his hand up when Remus went to stand up next to the girl. "I'm afraid not. Dark wizards. The aurors found them this morning." Evalyn fell to her knees in a painful silence. Anger and sadness ran through her veins. The anger grew and grew in her silence before she exploded. Remus' eyes widened as he saw the bright light shining from her eyes and the magical sparks flying from her hands. She let out a pained scream and the books on the shelves nearby went flying. Her small hands curled into fists, nails digging crescent moons into her palms. Her magical aura filled the entire office. To Remus and Dumbledore, it heavy, powerful, and strong. The werewolf noticed a curious glint form in the headmaster's eyes.

"Your dad left this letter for you. Nobody has read it, it seems to be charmed to only allow you to open it." He held out a folded up parchment to the girl as her screaming stopped. She took it, and walked away without saying another word.

Remus scrambled after her, the two passed Evan who was waiting nearby. The Slytherin noted her golden eyes and pained look and decided he would wait until another day to ask. Out of nowhere she stopped walking and turned to Remus.
"Can you take me to the boys? I hate to ask you —" he cut her off by swiftly picking her up.
"Don't worry Evalyn, I've got you." The girl sobbed into his chest, too upset to be worried about being carried.

Finally making it back to the dorm, he knocked on the door. The girl was asleep after being emotionally drained. Peter's eyes widened as he opened the door and seen the pair. He quickly stepped aside, allowing Remus to put her on Sirius' bed and cover her up. Both James and Sirius saw the sad look on his face and the tear stains on Evalyn's. Her hair was all matted from the magic that consumed her. They both shot up from their seats and Remus put a hand up.
"What happened?" Sirius' jaw was clenched as he stared at the girl.

"It was her parents." That was all he had to say. All four boys sat in a sad silence, wanting to be there for her when she woke back up.