Chapter 40

The end of the school year was coming up soon, and Evalyn wanted to try something. She had sent a note to Evan telling him to bring Barty and Regulus to the kitchens after the prefects finished their rounds. She had also told the Marauders to meet her there as well.

As she sat out her baking stuff, the door opened up with the four Gryffindors bouncing in proudly. Remus and Peter sat down while James ran over to Evalyn, pecking her on the temple before joining them. Sirius walked up behind his girlfriend, wrapping his arms around his waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. He swayed them back and forth slowly as he hummed a sweet tune in her ear.

"What are we making today doll?" Sirius smiled into her neck, sending shivers down her spine. "We are making cupcakes." Evalyn twirled around to face him, a gleam in her eye as she passed him an apron.
"Can they be chocolate?" Remus asked eagerly, clapping his hands together.

"Of course Rem, no other way." The door creaked open and the boys, besides James, immediately stilled. The Potter boy panicked and stood up, frantically running for a hiding spot. Evalyn ignored the commotion and pulled something out of her bag.

"What are they doing here?" Sirius spoke first, a hint of disgust in his voice. Without looking  at anybody, Evalyn said "I invited them, now please just this one night play along."

"I can't be here." Regulus claimed, nervously running his hand through his hair. Barty put a comforting hand on his shoulder, making the boy blush. This time, Evalyn did turn to face him. She stepped closer to him and gave him a warm grin. "Nobody here will say anything about this. Nobody will know. Please Reggie." She spoke softly to not startle the boy. Evan looked them over before speaking up, "She's right mate, as much as I'd rather not be with them, I won't say anything." The second Regulus started to nod, Barty tackled Evalyn. "I missed you Eva." She ignored the feeling of tears dropping onto the top of her head as she let the younger boy grip onto her jumper.

Sirius stood nearby protectively with a scowl on his face. He wasn't happy about this at all. Holding Barty in one arm, she reached her hand out to Regulus. Her green eyes were misty as they locked onto his icy grey ones. Hesitantly, he stepped forward, close enough for her to grab him and pull him in too. A sniffle from behind them broke their embrace. This could be his last moment to be with her freely, and he didn't want to miss out. All three turned to a teary eyed James who was wiping his nose. "Sorry mates that was just beautiful."

Evalyn took this moment to pull out the thing she brought with her. Barty's eyes lit up with excitement as he noticed the colorful puzzle cube. She held it out to Evan, who eyed it curiously. "It's called a Rubik's cube." He picked it up with just two fingers, holding it away from his body. "It's essentially a puzzle. The goal is to get a solid wall of one color on each side. B figured out how to do it immediately." She looked at the younger boy proudly. Honestly, Evalyn didn't know anyone smarter than Barty. He may act like a nutter, but the kid was easily the smartest one in the castle.

Barty snatched it, twisting the cube with ease. He barely even glanced at it as he found the solution. The lions and Evan gaped at the speed at which he finished the puzzle. He passed the cube back to her, a smug grin on his face. She held it behind her back to mix the colors up again before passing it back to Barty. "Let him watch, then he can try it while me and Sirius bake." The older Black brother perked up and followed behind her like a dog.

As the cupcakes finished, Evalyn pulled them out of the oven. She waved a cooling charm over them and pulled out different icings and sprinkles. Sirius helped her carry the cakes and toppings over to the group. He wiped some batter from her cheek and licked it off his thumb with a cheeky grin. Evan was focused on the cube in his hands intently.

Remus studied him carefully, surprised he wasn't opposed to the muggle object. His gaze was broken as the sweet smell of chocolate waved in front of his nose. Barty and James were both squealing like toddlers. Peter looked ready to eat his. Regulus was smiling softly at his. She grabbed the cube out of Evan's hand and gestured to the dessert in front of him.

She went to sat down with them at the table, but Sirius pulled her into his lap and dragged her cupcake next to his. "It's time to decorate!" The boys watched her as she grabbed the icing and started doing little swirls on her cake.

Remus decided to do simple chocolate icing. Peter had a swirl of red and gold icing on his. James decided to do a dab of every color so "no color would be left out." Barty had white icing, but sprinkled every type of sprinkle on top. Regulus drew a small daisy in icing on his. Evan had green icing with a black snake design. He secretly eyed the couple who were giggling and having a small icing war, smearing the sweet cream on each other's faces. He looked down to their cupcakes and a wave of sadness hit his gut. On Sirius' cupcake was a poorly drawn bird with a heart. Evalyn's had a paw print with a matching heart and a big S. Both Remus and Regulus picked up on the flash of hurt on Evan's face before he quickly hid it.

"Lynnie you are a goddess in the kitchen." Sirius groaned in pleasure as he bit into the cake. She blushed as there were murmurs of agreement around the table. Evan was the first one to get up, getting rid of his trash. "Truly a pleasure Birdie." His mouth was in a tight lipped grin. Evalyn silently stood up and shrunk the Rubik's cube with her wand. She gave him the cube and an extra cupcake. "Thank you for playing nice Evan." Her small hand grabbed his arm in a friendly manner. He gave her a small nod and turned around. As he walked away, he had to swallow back the bitter taste of envy as he heard the words "Lynnie can you stay with me tonight?"

James, Remus, and Peter were the next to leave, thanking Evalyn politely. Sirius stayed glued to the Hufflepuff's side as an awkward silence fell on the remaining group. Sensing the issue, Evalyn grabbed Sirius' hand and kissed his fingers. "Can you give us a moment?" His heart melted at the sight of her puppy eyes. He couldn't resist the look. She pouted her lip out, his eyes darted to her mouth before he groaned. "Fine but I'm not going far." The boy literally took 10 steps away and glared at his younger brother.

"I miss you boys." Her voice cracked at the confession. Both hung their heads in shame. "You can always stay with me, we will find a place that is hidden away so they can't find you Reg." Sirius scoffed and Evalyn whipped her head towards him with a glare that slightly scared him. Regulus let out a pained laugh and shook his head sadly. "You know I can't. I have to do this." Although she didn't understand his need to please his parents, she didn't argue. "If you ever change your mind, either of you, I'm here. You're doing well in classes?"

"Of course, I'm taking 12 OWLs this year." Barty smirked confidently. "I'm expecting to do well in all of my classes as well." Reggie responded politely. "I am so proud of you both." She stood up and gave each boy a sisterly kiss on the head. "I wish things were different" Sirius bit his lip at his younger brother's confession. He watched in sadness as the two boys clung onto Evalyn tightly. It was almost as if they all knew it'd be the last one. It was real this time. This summer they'd be going down a very dark path with the Dark Lord.

The boys pulled away from her hug, each kissing her cheek that was wet from her tears. They gave her one last sad look. "I love you E." "Yeah I love you Eva."

"I love you Reggie, and you B." She made sure to give each boy a loving smile. They walked out of the kitchens holding hands and Evalyn finally let out a sob. Sirius ran over and caught her as she fell to the ground.

"Let's go to bed love, it will be alright."