Chapter 53

Peter knew someone was following him this day. All morning he could sense it but every time he looked, nobody was there. He quickly turned down an empty corridor and hid behind a knight statue. Hearing the approaching sound of steps, he sucked in a breath. Slowly, he peaked around the statue at his stalker. His eyes widened as he met Evalyn's stare. She was frozen still, almost as if she thought she could camouflage herself. "Evalyn?!? It was you?!?" Her response was a slow blink and a crooked grin. Peter rolled his eyes and walked over "I can see you, you nob."

"I missed my friend" she put on an innocent face, hoping that he wouldn't question why she was being nosy. The words were partially true, she did miss him. But she was worried about him, he hadn't been hanging around the group and she was afraid he was in trouble.

Peter looked to the ground, shuffling his feet. His hands were behind his back as an uneasy feeling sat in his stomach. He silently thanked Merlin that he wasn't around any of his "associates" today. "I'm sorry Snitch, I'm just trying to focus on NEWTS, the work doesn't come as easily as it does for Prongs and Padfoot. I missed you too." His breath got caught in his throat as he felt two arms wrap around his waist.

"If you need any help Petey, just ask. I will always be there." She looked up at him with a big smile. The pure look of happiness chipped at his heart, so he pulled away and rested his hands on her shoulders.

"I know, that's why you're my favorite." He tried to match her smile with one of his own, but it didn't feel complete to Evalyn. One of his hands reached up to ruffle her hair. As she swatted it away, both teens laughed. "How are the rest of the boys?"

Evalyn pursed her lips. "Prongs is happy, he finally got the girl. Him and Pads are closer than ever right now. Moony is trying. I don't know if things will ever go back to the way they were between him and Sirius. The tension is still pretty strong. But I have hope."

Peter slung an arm around her shoulder, guiding her back to the Gryffindor common room. "What about you Snitch? You spend all your time mothering us lads, how are you doing?"

"Oh please, you lot spoil me. It's safe to say I have each of you wrapped around my finger." She gave him a cheeky grin which he scoffed playfully at. "But I'm okay, I'm worried about the war going on. I don't think I'd make it if something happened to any of you." Peter looked down at her with sad eyes but said nothing as they kept walking. "I think I would do anything to protect you lads."

"I agree with you on that." He had mumbled the words. Evalyn would have missed it if it wasn't completely silent around them. She pulled him into one last hug as the portrait swung open.

"Let's do this more often, I miss my Petey."

"Anything for you Snitch." He lightly shoved her shoulder. Sounds of chatter and laughter filled the air as they walked up to the Marauders dorm.

Inside, Remus was reading on his bed while Sirius and James were playing with Evalyn's makeup and hair products. The boys all turned to smile at the pair. "Wormy we missed you!" James yelled.

"Helga, James could you be any louder?!" Evalyn scolded the Potter boy. As if it were a challenge, James opened his mouth once more. Evalyn raised an eyebrow and snapped her fingers. The boy started yelling, only no sound escaped. A vein grew in his neck from how hard he tried to yell. He glared at Evalyn before she laughed and snapped her fingers again. "No more yelling."

She walked over and gave Sirius a quick kiss, while James fake gagged. Evalyn whipped her head over to him "Lily was in the common room, go find her." He ran a hand through his messy hair and took off running out of the room. "Hey Padfoot?" The hufflepuff toyed with a strand of his hair. Sirius raised a curious brow at her, silently asking her what she wanted.

"It would make me incredibly happy if you could grab me and Remus some chocolate cookies from the kitchens." There was no denying that he would do anything and everything for this girl. He looked at her big green eyes and the small pout on her face. "Please?"

Sirius smirked at her and leaned towards her ear to whisper "You never have to beg darling, but I love seeing it." She gasped and lightly slapped his chest. Her cheeks turned a wonderful shade of pink. It was Peter's turn to fake gag, and Remus' ears grew red as he tried to suppress a laugh. Sirius barked out a loud laugh at Evalyn's embarrassment. "Come Wormy, you have to help me. They like you better down there." Sirius grabbed the smaller boy and pulled him out of the dorm.

Evalyn got into bed beside Remus as they've done many times before. "Whatchya reading this time?"

"Lord of the Rings" he left his thumb on the page he was reading before closing the book for Evalyn to see the cover. She hummed and then let him continue reading as she doodled on his arm. Evalyn noticed after a few minutes he hadn't turned the page, but she said nothing. If he wanted to say what he was thinking he would. "I'm sorry." She paused her doodles and looked at him, confusion written all over her face. "I'm sorry for making things tense. I want to go back to normal, but I look at him and all I can see is the person who betrayed me."

"Oh hun, you don't have to apologize." She leaned her head on his shoulder. "Whatever you choose to do regarding your friendship with him is entirely up to you. I will not judge you or hate you for it. And I certainly won't leave you. I've grown fond of all of you, so you are all stuck with me now."

They sat in peaceful silence until the two boys came back in with loads of sweets. Sirius, seeing the two in bed together tensed up for brief second. He quickly brushed it off, choosing to trust his girlfriend and the friend he's had for years. He walked over with a big smile before tossing his stack of goodies onto the two. Evalyn smiled at him as he bent over to kiss her forehead before walking back over to his own bed. She was munching on some cookies as she eyed Remus picking up a muggle chocolate bar he loved. The corners of his mouth turned upwards as he ran his fingers over the label. Both her and the werewolf knew that the kitchens don't have that specific kind of chocolate. Evalyn slightly nudged his body with her arm, gesturing with her eyes to the chocolate. A tear threatened to fall from his eye as he shook his head with a breathy laugh. Maybe their friendship will be okay.