Chapter 18

Dear Evan,
Can you please help —

Evalyn crumpled her 4th piece of parchment and tossed it aside. She knows what she is doing is probably a mistake. Sirius would probably murder her when he finds out she is asking Rosier for help. But the girl is stubborn, so she continued to find the right words.

Dear Evan,
I need your help with something. Simply name your price and don't ask questions. If it's not reasonable, I'll find someone else to do it. Send your response with my owl, she will know where to go.
-E

She attached the short letter to her owl and sent her off with a quick pet.
"It's time to go Evalyn, are your trunks packed?" The girl scrambled to finish packing the rest of her stuff and ran downstairs.

"Yes mum, I'm ready." The parents embraced their daughter lovingly.

"We love you, don't forget to owl us when you get back to Hogwarts. We will see you soon." Her mum's eyes watered as she gave the girl a sweet kiss on her forehead.
"I love you both, I'll owl as soon as possible." Evalyn grabbed a handful of floo powder and called out Potter Manor.

With a cough, she tumbled out of a fireplace and into a really nice home. Before she could get a good look around, a body tackled her onto the floor.
"Pads, she's here!" James bear hugged the girl that was covered in soot still. In a quick minute, another body was on top of them.
"Lynnie! Looking fit as ever! I missed you!"

The two boys were lifted off of Evalyn by Remus. "Thank Merlin you are here, they are your responsibility now." Both boys gasped dramatically. James put his hand over his forehead and Sirius had his over his heart.
"Oh Mooney you wound us!" The boys faked sobbed into each other.

"I think I've missed Petey the most" the witch grinned mischievously and brought the smaller boy in for a hug. "At least he isn't going to hurt me. You lot crushed me!"
"I missed you too Evalyn" the boy snickered while the other 3 stood open mouthed.

"Two can play that game Lynnie, I guess I'll have to give my poor fragile heart to James."

"Leave this poor girl alone for a minute." An older couple walked up to the group of teens.
"You must be Evalyn, the boys would not stop talking about you."
Evalyn gave a bright smile and stuck her hand out to the couple "Yes that's me, I'm assuming you are Mr and Mrs Potter?" Sirius snorted at her formality and she gave him a quick glare.
"Please call me Effie" the older witch pulled Evalyn in for a hug. "Don't forget about me" James' dad pouted and joined the hug. "You can call me Monty."
She pulled away from the pair and gave another bright smile "thank you for letting me stay, you have a beautiful home." Effie put a warm hand on the girl's shoulder, "Please, it's nice to have another woman in this house. These lads are nutters."
Much like James, Monty put his hand over his heart and gasped. "The betrayal, my own wife!"

"Boys, go show her where she is staying and let her get some rest before supper."

The group ran up the stairs dragging Evalyn behind them. James opened a door that was 2 down on the right. Inside was a big bed with deep red bedding, the walls were painted a simple tan but were covered in posters of muggle bands and pictures of the Marauders. To the side was a mahogany dresser and a guitar sitting on its stand.
"This is Padfoot's room, you're gonna stay in here, he's gonna sleep with me in mine. It's the one right across from here. Down the hall will be Wormtail and Mooney." James set her trunk down beside the bed.
Sirius let out a whine, much like a dog would. "Can I get some love now? I'm Lynnie deprived." He stuck out his arms with a pout.
"I guess you can" she gave him a playful grin before wrapping her arms around his neck. Both of their hearts fluttered at the touch. I think this is my favorite place to be.

A small tap at the window interrupted the moment and Remus went over to let the small owl in. "Evalyn it's for you." He looked at the letter in confusion before passing it to the girl.

She unwrapped it hesitantly, not bothering to hide it from Sirius next to her.

Birdy,
Alright Fern? Straight to the point, I thought we were mates.
I ask two things:
1. Meet me for a cuppa when we get back to Hogwarts. I'd prefer if you were alone, but if you must bring one of those sorry blokes with you, I can manage. Preferably not one of the blood traitors. The other 2 aren't as miserable.

2. Duel me in DADA. You never volunteer for it and I'm curious to see what you've got.
-Rosier

Sirius snatched the letter out of her hand in anger. "What is this Evalyn?" Her stomach dropped at the use of her real name.
"I'm asking a favor of him and I needed to know his price before going through with it."

"Evee don't tell me you are going to that ball." James shook his head and read over the letter.

"Of course not, I'm not a Gryffindor like you lot." Evalyn snorted. "I just need him to give something to Reggie that will let me know he's okay. And don't worry, I'll take Remus with me to meet him at school. He will keep me safe." She looked towards the werewolf in question.
"Of course Evalyn, I'll always have your back."

She passed over towards Sirius who was pacing back and forth anxiously. "I'll be okay Sirius, just trust me. I won't do anything that will put me in danger." She put her arms around him gently. The black hair boy muttered into her hair, "I don't want you to get hurt. I think I care too much for you now."

"I won't Sirius, I'll be careful."

After a moment of embrace, James grew impatient and dragged the other boys into the hug.
"So what does a girl have to do to get a cool nickname?"