Chapter 46

The Hospital Wing was very bleak that night. Sirius laid on one bed, still unconscious from his injuries. Peter on another, he had woken up but had already fallen back asleep. Remus was asleep in the chair next to Peter. James sat next to Sirius, his glasses falling off his face as he dozed off.

Evalyn's eyes fluttered open at around 2 in the morning. The curtains were shut around her bed and there was a lump of a person sitting next to her. As she went to reach for her glasses to see who it was, a hand stopped her. "Don't move yet Birdie." He muttered a muffliato so nobody would hear their conversation. Evan helped her sit up and handed her the glasses. The look on his face was furious.

"Are you bloody insane? You showed your potential to some of the Dark Lord's people!" He stood up and paced back and forth next to her. "I couldn't let them hurt those people! They were innocent! And look at what they did to Sirius!"

"You could have fought back without using that power! You could have held back! What are you planning on doing if the Dark Lord decides to try and find you?" Evalyn stood up and faced him, a dangerous glare in her eye. "He won't, I will be fine. Besides between you and the other boys, I will be trained well enough to at least attempt to fight back." Evan's eyes softened a bit and he let out a pained laugh, "You're my ticket to surviving the war, remember little bird? You can't die on me yet." She rolled her eyes and laughed "It's not like it was my plan to die. Now get out of here, I need to check on the others." He did as she said, and quietly snuck out.

Evalyn crept over to the Marauders. She took off James' glasses and placed them on the nightstand. She pulled the covers up over Peter, and removed Remus' book from his grasp. A tear slipped out of her eye as she stood beside Sirius.

"Poppy said he will wake sometime tomorrow, his injuries are all healed up, his body is just tired." James grumbled as he rubbed his eyes. There were bags lined under them and tear stains down his cheeks. "He almost died." Evalyn sobbed as quietly as possible, and James reached out for her hand. In a swift motion, he pulled her into his lap and rocked his sister to sleep before dozing off himself.

A flash along with laughter startled James and Evalyn awake. He pushed Evalyn off to the ground and she let out a groan. "Bloody hell James!" She rubbed her bottom where she hit the ground before reaching up to touch the top of her head. "Ew James you drooled on me you daft cow!" Evalyn wiped her hand onto his leg. The laughter doubled and they looked up and saw Remus and Peter with a muggle camera, as well as Sirius sitting up on the bed in front of them.

"Sirius!" Evalyn squealed and scrambled to get up. She wanted to hug him but didn't since she didn't want to hurt him. He noticed her hesitation and yanked her down and held her in his arms. "Who knew a little Hufflepuff could fight like that? Maybe you should have been a Gryffindor." He murmured the words into her hair as he peppered kisses all over. "Hey badgers aren't just cute little animals!" She pouted up at him. Evalyn took that moment to look over his features. There was almost no evidence that he had even been hurt. Her worried eyes met his loving ones, "You saved my life Lynnie." She gave a shake of her head, "I can't lose you. I love you." Sirius barked out a laugh, "I'll burn this entire world down before you ever lose me."

"Touching words Mr. Black." The Headmaster stood before the small group, the familiar twinkle shining in his eyes. The old wizard set his gaze on Evalyn, "I believe we should talk." Evalyn looked down before standing up, the wizard held out a hand to stop her, "all of you." She took her seat back, next to Sirius and played with his rings anxiously.

Dumbledore locked the doors to the Hospital Wing, and Evalyn assumed he put a silencing spell on the room so nobody could hear the conversation. "That was true bravery yesterday. I commend each and every one of you for your efforts." 3 of the boys puffed out their chests with pride, the other fidgeted anxiously. Evalyn never looked back up while the man talked, she knew what he was about to offer and was scared. "I have a little team, dedicated to fighting against the dark wizards." Both James and Sirius perked up, this was exactly what they wanted to do. Both boys had a hero complex and wanted to take down the bad guys. "It is a secret so these words cannot leave this room." The group, except Evalyn, nodded in excitement.

"It is called the Order of the Phoenix, and we could use all of your help, if you would like to join. The Potters are apart of this, and Miss Fern was made aware of it last term." She refused to meet Sirius' gaze when she felt his eyes burning into the side of her head. "What do you say?"

James spoke first "I'm in!" Sirius immediately after. Neither boy took any time to agree to it. A broad smile spread on Remus' face. "I'll join too." Peter took a little bit longer. A dilemma was shown clearly on his face. The boys all grinned at him, which made him agree. "Miss Fern? What do you say?" She glared at the ground, knowing the Headmaster put her on the spot like this purposely. He wanted her to feel pressured into saying yes because of the boys surrounding her. All four boys eagerly turned to her waiting for her response. "Just picture it Lynnie, you and me fighting side by side, taking down all of the bad guys!" Sirius tapped her leg in excitement. James spoke up next "We can all make sure that all of us make it out safely." He could feel the worry radiating off of her. "I've got your back Snitch." Remus piped up. "Please Evalyn, help us." Peter quietly said.

Evalyn looked directly into Dumbledore's eyes. He knew in that moment that she was right where he wanted her. A grandfatherly smile danced on his face that made Evalyn feel queasy. "I have one condition." She could feel the tentacles grasp at her in her mind, and held up a finger with a knowing look. The wizard backed out of her mind, not wanting her to call him out in front of the others. "If Evan Rosier, Barty Crouch Jr. or Regulus Black come to ANY of the Order for help, we will help them." Dumbledore pursed his lips to think it over. The twinkle still present when he said "Help will come to those who ask."

"Then I'll join your little team." The boys tackled her in joy and let out cheers. Meanwhile Evalyn sent her prayers to Merlin or Helga Hufflepuff or anyone else who would listen, in hopes that she didn't make a mistake. Although they were on the "good" side, it was still a war. And as her father warned her, both sides will do whatever it takes to win.