Chapter 35

The next morning, Evalyn awoke in her dorm. She put on her usual school robes, fluffed her curls, and opened the door to leave. Outside the door though was a beautiful bouquet of red carnations and lavender heather. Tied to it was a small parchment with a bird drawn on it. Thinking it was from Sirius, she grabbed it with a smile and headed to the Great Hall.

With his back turned away from the door, she snuck up behind her love and tackled him in a hug. "Thank you for the flowers Padfoot." He furrowed his brows and his body tensed up. Turning to face her, he eyed the flowers with a glare. "I love you Lynnie, but I didn't get you those." He reached for the parchment and threw it on the table for the other boys to look at.

"Oh, I'm sorry Sirius." She set them down on the table with a frown. He stood up and walked out of the hall without saying anything. Evalyn plopped down on his seat and sighed.

"He's not mad at you Snitch" James put a hand on her shoulder. "I'll go check on him" he kissed the girl on the temple in a sibling way before running after his best mate. Recognition dawned on Remus.

"I know who sent them, I'll be back later." He scurried out of the Hall. Peter just looked at her with a sympathetic look. "I guess it's just you and me." She smiled back at him, "that's okay, I love my Petey time."

Sirius and James did not go to their classes that day. They were trying to plan something big for Evalyn so Sirius wouldn't look so bad. He was jealous at the thought of another person getting his girlfriend flowers.

Remus had gone to the library to find the book of flowers. He put together that Evan Rosier is the only one outside of the group who calls her Birdie. He scrolled through the pages until he found the right flowers. The lavender ones represent admiration, while red ones stood for either an aching heart or another form of admiration. Putting his notes together, he decided to take it to Evalyn later.

Evalyn and Peter sat together in classes. They had most of them the same except for their last one. She had gotten there early and took a seat, waiting for Amos to sit next to her. They had been partners during this class since they came back from Christmas break. However, instead of the usual sweet Hufflepuff, a familiar Slytherin sat down.

"Alright little bird?" Evan smiled at her. It finally dawned on her who sent the flowers. She slapped his arm with her parchment, giving him the best glare she could.

"It was you! Sirius is mad at me now because of the flowers!" She was whispering but her tone was fierce. The boy just laughed it off. "There's no reason for him to be mad, I mean his girlfriend simply picked up a bouquet of flowers. It's not like there was a name on them, who said they were even for you?"

"Don't be a prat, you know what you did." Evalyn rolled her eyes. He rested his elbows on his desk and then leaned his head on his hand. Evan's eyes were trained on her face. He scanned over her features. Her cheeks were tinted pink in embarrassment, some curls were falling out of the hair tie and onto her face. There was a small indent on her bottom lip from where she usually bit it. He gave her his best pouty face.

"Oh come on Birdie, you know I mean no harm." This got her attention, and she eyed him. Specks of gold swirled in her irises. "Did you know my parents were killed?" Evan bit the inside of his cheek, choosing his next words. "I did." She scoffed and turned away. "But not until a few days after you found out. I figured it out when you were missing classes." Evalyn looked back at him and raised an eyebrow. He held his hands up in surrender.

"Please little bird, all I want is to meet up with you one night. I think I know what you are, and if I'm right you could use my -" his voice trailed as he tried to find the right word "-resources." She thought it over. On one hand, the more information he knows, the more dangerous it is for her. On the other hand, she could find out what he knows and see if he does have something to help. She could use all the help she can, Dumbledore hasn't provided any that's for sure.

"I'll agree, but only if Sirius and Remus can join." His smile dropped. "Just Lupin, not the blood traitor." She hummed. "It's funny how against him you are, but I'm only a half blood and you don't call me any names." Her arms were crossed in defiance, and there was a smugness to her tone.

"Fine. They both can come. But you have to promise they won't hex me or anything."

Evalyn stuck her hand out, "you have a deal Rosier." He shook it, noting how dainty her hands were. It's amazing that such small hands can hold so much power.

Later that evening she headed to the Gryffindor common room to find Sirius. The Fat Lady wouldn't let her in since she didn't know the password. "Courage" Lily Evans called out from behind Evalyn. She smiled at the Hufflepuff and walked with her. "Going to see Sirius and the others?" Lily asked almost shyly in Evalyn's opinion. "Yes, Sirius got jealous earlier and I wanted to make sure he was alright." Lily hummed "do you think James is with him?" Evalyn's eyes widened when she saw the blush dusted on her cheeks. "Um yes I believe so, would you like me to give him a message?" Lily thought for a moment before slipping her a piece of parchment. "Tell him to owl me this summer?" Evalyn nodded and ran up to the boys' dorm in excitement.

Without knocking, she swung the door open. Sirius and James were in the middle of throwing flower petals in the dorm, with candles lit near Sirius' bed. "What is this?" Her brows were furrowed as she stared at them. Sirius stood still while James squeaked and ran across the room to hide in the corner.

"I can still see you Padfoot" Evalyn teased him and he turned to face her. Sirius reached into his pocket and fumbled a small box that he pulled out. It was her turn to freeze as he opened it and held it to her. Inside was a ring. It was a simple band that had a paw print and a heart engraved in it. "It's not much but it's a promise. I promise to do my best to make you the happiest woman ever. I want you by my side in this life and the next. It's not an engagement ring don't worry, that will come later." He winked and ran a free hand through his hair.

"Is this because you were jealous?" She stepped closer to him, eyeing the ring. "Yes and no, obviously I had to one up the oaf who tried to woo you" Evalyn giggled at the phrasing. "But I also wanted to give you my heart." She held out her left hand to him, and with a shaky breath, he slid the ring on her finger. From the corner of the room, there was sniffling heard.

"James you can come out, I have good news for you too." Evalyn pulled Lily's note out of her pocket. "It's from your flower, she said to owl her this summer." James ripped the parchment out of her hands in excitement, nearly tearing it. He ran over to his bed and taped it to the wall. "Look at us all in love" he wiped his nose with his sleeve. Evalyn rolled her eyes and pulled Sirius into a kiss when the door opened again.

"Er sorry to interrupt." Remus and Peter entered awkwardly. "I have some information you might want to know." He plopped down onto the floor, scattering his notes in front of him.

Evalyn clapped her hands, remembering what Evan said. "Oh me too! I almost forgot!" Sirius sat down first, and pulled Evalyn into his lap. He rested his head on top of hers and inhaled the familiar scent of mangos. He promised her his love, but he promised himself that he would do anything in his power to hold on to her and protect her.