Chapter 34

"It has to be something that makes you happy." Remus was teaching Evalyn how to cast a patronus. All four boys had already accomplished the spell.

As she reached her fifth attempt, she began to get frustrated. Sirius noted her tense posture and decided to take over. He waltzed over confidently. "Step aside Mooney, I've got it from here." Sirius cleared his throat, standing directly beside Evalyn.

"What memory are you thinking of?" She gave a small smile and said "when my parents took me to the station my first year. It's a small memory, but it's happy."

"Try something a bit more intense love. It's happy yes, but you need something stronger. Close your eyes love." She did as she was told, all four watching her. "Tell me what are some of your favorite memories." He was genuinely curious as to what her answer would be.

"The first break after the first year, my parents threw a Hufflepuff party, and my mom made a bunch of origami badgers." A sweet smile graced her face. "3rd year, Regulus and Barty finally trusted me. I invited them to make cookies with me, and it turned into a food fight. We ended up sleeping in the kitchens by accident." Sirius' heart clenched at the thought of his brother. "4th year the boys snuck over to my house for Christmas, I showed them what movies are and we stayed up all night drinking hot cocoa." A tear slipped down her cheek. "This year when I became friends with all of you. And when you told me you loved me." Her heart was filled with love and joy and she opened her eyes with determination.

Expecto Patronum

The words echoed in the quiet room. A small shimmery swallow bird flew around the group. It went up to Sirius, fluttering its wings around his head. He barked out a laugh and then cast his own. Soon enough there was a big dog and a small bird playing around the room.

"Snitch!" Peter called out, the group turned to look at him and he blushed. "Cause it flies, and her eyes turn gold?" He fiddled his hands in embarrassment. The other 3 boys exchanged glances before smiling. James ran in front of Evalyn, pulling Sirius beside him.

"Kneel" he said with a proud tone. Evalyn hesitantly kneeled on the ground. James used his arm as an imaginary sword, tapping each of her shoulders.

"I dub thee Evalyn Fern, Miss Snitch. Honorary Marauder." Her eyes welled up with tears as she threw her arms around the two in front of her. "Does that mean I can use your nicknames too now?" They both gave her identical nods. She ran over to Remus and Peter in excitement, throwing her arms around them as well. "This is the best day ever."

Later that evening, they were enjoying supper in the Great Hall.
"Hey Lynnie, I thought you cut your hair?" Sirius picked up a strand of curls, examining the length. Evalyn simply shrugged her shoulders. It was true, she did only cut her hair a couple days ago if that, and it had already grown another 2 inches. "I guess I just have good hair" she flipped the curls over her shoulder dramatically. "Maybe even better than yours."

His hand went to his chest and he gasped. "Nobody has better hair than me." It was her turn to pick up a strand of his hair and examine it. She let out a small hum and said "I don't know Padfoot, the ends are a little damaged." Evalyn winked at him. He waved both of his arms dramatically. "You take that back! How could you say such a thing? Prongs does my hair looked damaged to you?" The boy leaned over the table, pushing the food aside to shove his hair in James' face. "No Pads, it looks beautiful to me." Sirius sighed in relief. "At least Prongs loves me." He crossed his arms and pouted.

Evalyn picked a strawberry from her plate and fed it to him. "Sorry love, I was just kidding." He chewed the strawberry and tapped his cheek, "I think I can forgive you if I get something in return." She rolled her eyes and pecked his cheek, making him smile.

Evalyn turned her attention to Peter, "you should sign up for the Wizard chess tourney they are having. It's mostly Ravenclaws signed up but I know you'd kick their arse."

"Language" Remus threw a piece of broccoli at her. In return she glared at him. "Please, you are the biggest swearwolf I know. Besides, I'm only following the example the prefect has shown me." James and Sirius broke out into laughter as Remus' smirk fell. "I think we have corrupted Snitch, she used to be so quiet and innocent." Sirius draped his arm around her.

"Piss off lads, I've been around your brother and his mate who can out sass Prongs any day of the week for years now. I've been corrupted, you lot just made me too nervous at first." She waved her hand in nonchalance as the boys gaped at her. "I mean did you really think that I could keep up with James during that drinking contest if I were innocent?" Sirius' heart fluttered at the sight of her devilish grin. He loved seeing this side of her personality. Turning back towards Peter, she continued her conversation.

"As I was saying, honestly it's too late. I've already put your name down. The first match is in two days." Peter froze before he smiled.

"I think I'll do it, thank you Snitch." She shrugged, locking her eyes on his. "You'll do great Wormy, you're the best one here." The words made his confidence grow slightly.

There was a comfortable silence that fell on the group. Before they got up to head to their dorms for the night, Sirius turned to Evalyn, and grinned crookedly at her.

"Move in with me."

She choked on the sip of pumpkin juice she had, and Remus dropped his fork.

"Wot?" The response came from James instead of Evalyn. Sirius' eyes never left her face as he went to pat her back. As her coughing calmed down, he left his hand on her back, rubbing small circles. She stared wide eyed into the distance as she thought it over. "I don't have a job Sirius, I don't know how much money my parents left me. I don't know if I can afford it." She started to slowly shake her head. "Plus I was supposed to live with Monty and Effie."

This time James started choking. "Wot?" He patted his chest to clear it. "I mean obviously I would love that Evee, I just didn't know that. And what do you mean Sirius? You live with me?"

Sirius held up his free hand. "My uncle left me some money, enough to buy my own flat. I was going to look for a place this summer." He turned to Evalyn, taking both of her hands into his. His grey eyes held a ton of love as they locked with hers. "It's enough to cover us for the next school year. After that we will both get jobs and we will be fine, I promise."

She bit her lip, her eyes searched his for any sign of hesitation in his offer. Upon seeing that this was truly what he wanted for them she nodded. A bright smile showed off all of her teeth. He pulled her into his chest and the other 3 stood up and started cheering.

Meanwhile 3 Slytherins watched, 2 with adoration and joy, the other with a bitter annoyance.