Chapter 44

Potions was interesting this year. Remus and Peter didn't take the class. James sat with Lily, Sirius with Evalyn. Snape, Avery, Mulciber and Rosier were all sat with each other, along with a few other students scattered about.

Today however, the room had a comforting smell. To Evalyn, it smelled like Sirius' cologne, cigarettes, leather, and unfortunately dog.

"I'm sure you are all familiar with Amortentia, we previously covered this in an earlier class." Slughorn went to put away the potion, but hesitated. He looked at all the smiles on the students faces before he cleared his throat. "How about we see what everyone smells? Who would like to go first?" The students groaned, knowing that the Professor enjoyed the gossip. James shot out of his seat first, "parchment, old books, and lilies" he gazed at Lily lovingly before running back to his seat. Sirius ran up next, "mango shampoo, vanilla, and brownies."  He made kissy faces at Evalyn as she blushed. One by one the students walked up, Snape and Evan were the last two to go. Snape went first, muttering his answer so nobody could hear. Evan stepped up last, and his eyebrows furrowed. He smelled broom polish, books, fire whiskey, and mangoes. At the last fragrance, his eyes whipped up to Evalyn who was talking with her friends. She didn't notice when he listed his answer, but Sirius did. The Gryffindor gave him a smug look and wrapped his arm around Evalyn. He winked at Evan before using his finger under her chin to pull Evalyn in for a kiss. Anger shot through the Slytherin and he clenched his fists as he sat back down.

While they were brewing their potions for class, Evalyn wanted to get back at Snape for what happened on the train. She had one had on top of the table, the under hidden underneath. Trying to make it look like she was focusing on the potion, she used the hand on top to skim the book. Her other hand pointed in the direction of the Slytherin's flame under his cauldron. In an instant, the flame grew, boiling his potion over to the point it exploded. The liquid got all over him and Avery. The boys both let out a girlish scream.

"I expected more of you Snape, go to the Hosptial Wing lads." The Professor cleared the mess with his wand before waving them off. A hand squeezed Evalyn's knee, so she turned her head to face Sirius. He leaned in, the hair that fell from his bun tickled her cheek with how close he was to her. "Did you have something to do with that love?" A playful gleam sparkled in his eyes. "I don't know what you are talking about." Her fingers tapped on the table as she smiled innocently.

Sirius grabbed the leg of her seat, dragging her closer to him. A shiver went down her spine as he whispered in her ear, "Darling, you have no idea what those pretty eyes do to me." He smirked and brushed a finger over her pink cheeks. Deciding to try and play his game, she laid one hand on his thigh, the other twirled a strand of his hair around her finger. "And you have no idea what your voice does to me Padfoot." Sirius tensed up and his eyes darted to her mouth as she lightly bit her bottom lip. "You're playing a dangerous game Lynnie." His stormy eyes made Evalyn's heart race. The look of pure lust on his face had stunned her to silence. She opened her mouth slightly to try and say something but a quill hit Sirius on the side of the head. "Oi mate, I'm going to be sick!" James faked a gag and the couple started laughing.

Later that week, Evalyn was hanging out in the Hufflepuff common room. Amos and Amelia Bones were helping her study for her classes. Amos had stopped talking and was just staring at Evalyn for a few minutes with a puzzled look. "When did you change your hair?" Evalyn popped up and ran to the nearest mirror. Sure enough, her golden hair had strands of white highlighting it. Overall, it made the color of her hair seem to glow. Her laugh came out anxiously, "Oh it was probably just a trick from Sirius or James." He nodded his head and then continued on his work.

Evalyn decided to go talk to Dumbledore. She listed 8 different sweets before landing on the one that opened the office. His eyes twinkled as she walked in. "I've been expecting you." He gestured to the chair in front of him. Before taking a seat, Evalyn undid her plait, all of her golden curls falling to the back of her thighs. "How am I supposed to hide this?" Dumbledore gave her a kind smile, "You are familiar with a certain group of boys, I'm sure nobody will question your hair." She considered it but then agreed. "Any other changes that concern you?"

Evalyn shook her head "No, but I've been improving my magic." She gave an example by snapping her fingers, lighting the candles in the office. With a wave of her other hand, a breeze blew them out. "Impressive my dear, I have something to ask of you actually." She looked at her headmaster, whose smile never left his face.

"There is a group of people, the Order of the Phoenix, who are fighting off the Dark. It is confidential, so these words cannot leave this office." Evalyn's eyebrows skyrocketed upward. "I would like for you to consider joining us, we could use someone like you to help save lives."

"Can I think about it?" She was hesitant, her father did warn her that both sides would want her. "Of course my dear, just remember to not tell anyone else about this." A swarm of tentacles filled her mind and as she was about to gasp, two boys flew into the room.

"It wasn't her!"
"You have no proof!"

Sirius and James yelled at the same time, both were out of breath. "What are you talking about boys?" She stood in front of them, her hands on her hips.
"We are saving you of course!" James did the talking now since Sirius was frozen in his spot. He gaped at her new hair which made Evalyn grow insecure. She rubbed her arm anxiously, "does it look bad?"

He fell to his knees in front of her and put a hand over his heart, "My Lynnie, you are the most stunning being to ever roam this planet. I think you take the crown for best hair now though." He grumbled before fumbling in his bag for a beat up crown. It was bent from being shoved inside of a bag for who knows how long. He stood up and placed it on her head before caressing her cheeks.

"I love you Lynnie."
"I love you too Padfoot."