Chapter 9

With a groan, Evalyn awoke to the sound of someone puking their guts up. Feeling the nausea herself, she hopped up and ran to the bathroom. She pushed James out of the way and the effects of last night came to her violently. James grumbled and held back her hair. As she finished, the two sat for a minute on the bathroom floor, leaning into each other in misery. Peter knocked quietly and came inside with two glasses of water and a couple phials of potion.

"These will make you feel better." He chuckled at the sight. Both teens were disheveled and green in the face.

"Thanks Petey" Evalyn muttered and took the water and potions from him. She passed one to James before quickly downing hers. The cure was immediate as the color came back to her face. James passed her a spare, unopened, toothbrush that the boys kept for emergencies before he started plaiting her hair.

"Where did you learn to plait?" The girl asked as she brushed her teeth.

"I practiced on Padfoot, I thought it would impress the ladies." He finished the plait with a hair tie and sent Evalyn back to bed. She crawled back in next to Sirius quietly and examined his face. Strands of black hair curled in front of his face. His lips formed a small pout as he was snoring softly. She grew nervous as she took in all of his features. 'He looks so peaceful.' She thought as she brushed the stray strand of hair behind his ear. The memories of last night slowly came back to her. Evalyn blushed red in embarrassment remembering what she said to the boy in front of her. As she moved to try to leave, an arm wrapped around her waist and pulled her in close.

"It's rude to stare doll" Sirius whispered without even opening his eyes.

"I'm sorry Sirius, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable." Evalyn tried to turn away but his grip tightened. He peaked one eye open and then closed it again. "Oh love, I'm far from uncomfortable, now stop talking and let's go back to sleep." He let out a silent laugh.

Mustering up all of her courage, she buried her head into the crook of his neck. "You do have the prettiest eyes Sirius." Evalyn mumbled. In response he simply just squeezed her waist and the two drifted back off to sleep.

The next day, Evalyn met Reggie in the Astronomy tower. It was a Hogsmeade day so almost everyone was out. Her potions homework sat between them as he was trying to help her.

"I'm absolutely done with this Reg. Can we talk about something else?" He nodded and wrote the last of the answers on her parchment, making sure to match her handwriting and gathered her stuff up.

"So you and B huh? I knew it would happen." The girl gushed over her two best friend.

"Yes and no E, we both want to try it but it's too dangerous. Nobody will accept it."

"I swear to Merlin, if anyone tries to give you guys a hard time about it, I will punish them." A fierce look of determination flashed in her eyes as she held his hands.

"Thanks E, but unless you want to face the wrath of my lovely parents and every other posh family around us, nothing can be done." He chuckled thinking about the small girl trying to defend them.

"I love you boys, I don't care if I have to face the Most Ancient and Noble whatever they call themselves or whatever foul creature they bow down to. I will always do my best to protect you both."
At these words, Regulus looked away. A pit formed in the bottom of his stomach knowing what was to come. Instead of showing it however, he did what every pure blood knew how to do. He put on a face, void of emotion, and turned back to the girl.
"So my brother huh?" Evalyn blushed at that, noticing the change in conversation, but not saying anything about it.
"It couldn't happen. He's Sirius fucking Black, and I'm me. He's the most sought after boy in Hogwarts, people love him, and he's notorious for playing with hearts. And I'm Evalyn, I'm just average and that's okay, someone has to be."
Regulus squished her cheeks together making direct eye contact with her. "You are too good for him E. Your heart is entirely too big, and you love with all of it. You can see a crack in the Earth and talk about the beauty in it. But he seems different around you. I don't think he knows what it is, and you don't either. But you look happy around him." She nodded her head, a thoughtful look on her face. "Maybe one day it will happen, but not today, today I am yours." She leaned her head on his shoulder and the two sat in peaceful silence.

Meanwhile, in Hogsmeade, the Marauders sat around the table at the Three Broomsticks.
"It's okay to admit to having a crush Pads. It's normal." The black haired boy shook his head "Prongs, I'm Sirius fucking Black, I don't do crushes." He whistled towards a group of girls and waved them over. One came over and plopped into his lap and smiled sweetly at him. He couldn't help but notice that it isn't as nice as Lynnie's. However, he just brushed that aside and whispered sweet nothings in the girl's ear. Peter, Remus, and James all exchanged looks but said nothing. Barty noticed this as well from across the pub. As he was going to leave, he made sure to trip and spill the rest of his drink on the older Black brother and the girl.

'Nobody messes with Eva' Barty laughed to himself and fled the scene before anyone could stop him.