Chapter 57

Before Evalyn even opened her eyes the next morning, she heard some intense yelling. The spot next to her was empty and a little cold, showing that Sirius had been up for a while. Not wanting to face anyone yet, she kept her eyes closed and listened to the commotion.

"How dare you let my children go out there so late without supervision?! What if they had died?!" Effie seethed.

"I was not made aware of the punishment given to the students last night. If I had known, I would have stopped them. Luckily, our staff has prepared them enough to defend themselves when the matter calls for it." The headmaster calmly replied. Evalyn mentally rolled her eyes. He is the headmaster, he should know what is happening with the students.

As if Effie read her mind, the motherly figure responded, "You are the headmaster, you have a duty to keep these students safe. You should be ashamed with what happened last night. Tell me, did you even talk with the man responsible for what happened?" Evalyn heard Sirius scoff. Before the headmaster could explain himself, she heard the doors slam open and someone stomping through the Hospital Wing.

"Where is my sister?" James' face was red from anger and exhaustion of running the whole way. He didn't even hesitate when he seen his mother with an equally red face. Sirius gestured to where Evalyn's bed was. With a glare he huffed at the headmaster before opening Evalyn's curtain and stepping inside. Narrowing his eyes at Evalyn, he pushed her over gently, "I know you are awake, scoot over."

"Fine you prat," she grumbled before scooting over. "How bad is it?"

"I think mum might tear the castle apart honestly."

"It's sweet how much she loves Sirius."

James stilled, he pursed his lips and leaned his head onto hers. "It's for you Evee. She's upset because you got hurt. Yes she loves Sirius, and she would be upset if he were hurt, but you are also one of hers now." Tears pooled at Evalyn's waterline.

"I will be handling Mr. Filch accordingly. He will be made aware that this punishment was not suitable for children." Sirius scoffed again and marched into the curtains to see Evalyn and James. He ran over to her side now that she was fully awake and brushed her hair back.

"How are you feeling love?" His eyes scanned over her face with worry. He gently pulled her forward to examine where her wound was. As he did so, he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"I'm just a little sore, I was going to get Poppy after Dumbledore leaves. I don't feel like seeing him right now." The boy nodded in response and intertwined his fingers with hers.

"Stunning, now that I know you are alright-" he scowled at her but the look held no ill will, "don't let yourself get hurt like that again, I thought I almost lost you." She watched as a haunted look dazed his eyes. He pictured her underneath the monster several times that night and it kept him awake.

"I'm sorry Pads, thank you for saving me." She gave him a shy smile "I know I said I didn't need you protecting me but I appreciate you being there."

"I will always be there." He pecked her nose. James cleared his throat from beside Evalyn. His face darted between the two people in mock disgust.

"Can you not do this in front of me?"

Across the room, Evan shuffled out of bed. He heard the commotion and wanted a word with Dumbledore. Bracing himself on his crutches, he stumbled out and over to the headmaster. Effie looked at the young teen curiously and then moved her gaze back to Dumbledore.

"I assure you Headmaster, my parents have been informed of the issue that occurred last night and my mum will be speaking to you about it." Evan glare grew hateful at the sight of the twinkle in the older wizard's eyes.